1.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google's Terms Applying to Churches

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

My church has had an ad grant for quite a while with Google.  We got notified that we need to update the account so it's set up the new way and as I was going through the setup process again, I noticed I had to accept these terms:

"My organization does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity in hiring/employment practices."

So given that this is for an evangelical (Baptist) church, I can't really rightfully check that box as they would not hire someone for their staff that was homosexual/transexual etc.  This would be the same for the majority of baptist churches.  

Does this mean that evangelical churches are no longer eligible to have Google Grants?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins

To add to the link that Moshe provided - That certifying question has always been in place. If your client is a grantee, and set the account up themselves, then they previously accepted it.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This was recently discussed;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Ad-Grants/Discrimination-Meaning/m-p/1016746/highli...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins

To add to the link that Moshe provided - That certifying question has always been in place. If your client is a grantee, and set the account up themselves, then they previously accepted it.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@RobertCoats and others had some great responses in the thread Moshe cited. 

The gist of things seems to be that if the organizations mission is to promote discrimination, then Google would not be inclined to support such an organization through the ad grants program. However, if the organization was eligible, it should still be eligible. Robert outlined some of the potential issues in the other thread, but if the policy has always been in place, then nothing has really changed. Smiley Happy

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone. I must have totally missed the term the first time around Smiley Happy

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual