Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google NonPRofit - valid charity status not recognised

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have been trying to apply for Google non profit so I can apply for an Ad grant for the charity I am a trustee of.

I have received a rejection message with the following reasoning:

"Unfortunately, we were not able to verify your organization's charity status. For help, click here."

Clicking on the link basically takes me full circle suggesting that we apply for charity status first (which we have already) and in some instances suggesting to click a "reapply" button which is not present.  Clicking "contact us" on a screen which says:

"If we're unable to verify your organization's charity status, but you've confirmed that your organization is listed in the IRS or Charity Commission for England & Wales online databases of charitable organizations, please contact us for assistance."

takes me to a screen with support links for specific product families (e.g., Adwords, Google Apps, etc) for which one does need a nonprofit status first, so no help there - and no way to actually contact anyone.  There is also not a single link I could find with a telephone number or an e-mail address to reach out to.  I am hoping this post would help.

Details of the organisation:

1. We are based in England
2. We are registered with the Charity Commission in England and Wales (1160770, European Frontier Foundation)
3. We are not a governmental entity or organisation, hospital or health care, or a school or education organisation.

Googling the forum seems to suggest I am not alone in this and there are numerous others having experienced the very same issue.  Help pages regretfully do not offer any help on this issue and have taken me full circle.  There are no contact details, e-mail or phone for a real person.  Perhaps there is someone reading this who could assist - as a last resort?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help,

Viktor

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google NonPRofit - valid charity status not recognised

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@European F

Hi Viktor,

I'll be glad to investigate this for you but I will need some additional information about your organization that we cannot post publicly here in the public forum due to privacy concerns. Please fill out this form and I can escalate for you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you - filled in the form as requested.

Much appreciate your kind help

Viktor

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@European F

Hi Viktor,

Your request is still being looked into and I will follow back up as soon as I have additional information from the team.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, 

We will await further information as suggested.

Kind regards

Viktor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Robert,

It had been two months since my original question - sorry for chasing, but is it possible for you to enquire again whether the tram looking into this rather trivial enquiry made any progress?

Thank you and best regards,

Viktor

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@European F

Hi Viktor,

I will run the question back up to the Ad Grants team and see if there is an update.

All I have so far is that the org was rejected for "unrecognized UKCC legal entity" which as you pointed out the org is registered and I am making a case for.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@European F

Hi Viktor,

After further research, it looks like the issue is not that you are not in the UK Charity online database but that your charity status is not appropriately registered with TechSoup, the validating service Google uses. 

Google is working with TechSoup Global to provide access to Google products and services. To be eligible for the Google for Nonprofits program, organizations must:

• Have a validated account with TechSoup's local partner. (Not currently a member of TechSoup? Register here).

Once you register through TechSoup you should be able to reapply without issue.

Please do keep us posted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Robert,

much appreciate your help, the process would be impossible to navigate without it - for example, this is the first time the necessity to be registered with techsoup was mentioned (this was not displayed as a part of the application process two months ago, although it seems to be now).

But, despite all that it seems there is no hope here, as the website for tt-exchange (a UK validation partner of techsoup) is offline "for essential maintenance" with the message to e-mail (!) them to be notified when website goes back online.

All in all, a very kafkaesque experience - but thank you for helping us to at least get an explanation.

kindest regards,

Viktor
European Frontier Foundation

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Viktor,
Glad to help.

Sorry to hear about the issues with the TT-exchange website. Hopefully the downtime will be short-lived. If it goes a few days, please let me know and i will notify the G4NP about the issue.

By the way, based on your experience, I did recommend to the team to update the denial email to include the Techsoup requirement and information - which I am sure they will be doing to better stream line and clarify the process.