Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Grants - need help with improvement

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I've been given an account to work with that has a Google Grant and this is the first time using Google Grants. I understand the $2 bid limit stops me from always getting shown, but I've got some good quality scores with low first page bids that are never showing in ad preview.

Here's an example: 

"local charities to donate to" has a quality score of 8 and it has an est. first page bid of .15. When I check it in ad preview it says that "Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results."

That doesn't seem right, does it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jenni k
September 2015

Re: Google Grants - need help with improvement

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There could be several items at play here and it sounds like a combination of AdWords and Grants processes coming together.

From a Grants stand point, you are absolutely right that you are limited in your Max CPC bid to $2. However, another item is that Grant ads serve under paid advertisers. This can really push your grant ad below the fold depending on the number of paid advertisers. Also, realize that there are about 6,000 grantees around the world and many of them are likely targeting similar keywords and are bidding the same Max CPC you are.

From an AdWords standpoint, with such a long tail keyword such as "local charities to donate to" you are going to have broad and phrase match keywords like "local charities" and "donate" competing in the auction as well. This only increases the advertiser pool your ads are up against.

As for the "first page bid of $0.15" you are seeing. The AdWords platform is "primarily" only considering paid advertisers in these estimates. This is because the Grantee ads are served below the paid ads as mentioned above. This is why even though you are bidding more than the first page estimate, the system is still indicating that you do not rank high enough. As a Grantee, you will have to take many of the estimates with a “grain-of-salt” and look at the data over time to see how your ads really perform and make you decisions based on historic data of your own account.

It is because of this, that many grantees do set up paid accounts to run i tandem with their grant account so that they can go after relevant keywords that their grant account might not be competitive for. 

If you run into additional issues please follow back up over in the Google Ad Grants Help Forum

All the best,

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jenni k
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There could be several items at play here and it sounds like a combination of AdWords and Grants processes coming together.

From a Grants stand point, you are absolutely right that you are limited in your Max CPC bid to $2. However, another item is that Grant ads serve under paid advertisers. This can really push your grant ad below the fold depending on the number of paid advertisers. Also, realize that there are about 6,000 grantees around the world and many of them are likely targeting similar keywords and are bidding the same Max CPC you are.

From an AdWords standpoint, with such a long tail keyword such as "local charities to donate to" you are going to have broad and phrase match keywords like "local charities" and "donate" competing in the auction as well. This only increases the advertiser pool your ads are up against.

As for the "first page bid of $0.15" you are seeing. The AdWords platform is "primarily" only considering paid advertisers in these estimates. This is because the Grantee ads are served below the paid ads as mentioned above. This is why even though you are bidding more than the first page estimate, the system is still indicating that you do not rank high enough. As a Grantee, you will have to take many of the estimates with a “grain-of-salt” and look at the data over time to see how your ads really perform and make you decisions based on historic data of your own account.

It is because of this, that many grantees do set up paid accounts to run i tandem with their grant account so that they can go after relevant keywords that their grant account might not be competitive for. 

If you run into additional issues please follow back up over in the Google Ad Grants Help Forum

All the best,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Robert. I didn't realize that they were server below paid ads. I have it has a phrase match, but I'm sure it is the fact that I'm below paid ads that is the problem.