1.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Grants and YouTube monetization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If your organization is a google grant recipient, are you eligible to monetize YouTube videos? I see that you're not allowed to run adsense or network ads on your website, but I don't see anything about YouTube channels/videos.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc K
September 2015

Re: Google Grants and YouTube monetization

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Marc
Google is primarily concerned with third-parties making money from traffic generated by the grant, that is why you cannot have those types of ads on your website. Youtube is a bit different since you do not drive grants traffic to your YouTube channel.

Additionally, Grantees are able to use YouTube For Nonprofits. You can find more information about that program here: https://www.youtube.com/nonprofits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you - that's what I figured, but not being comprehensively familiar with Google Grants restrictions, I wanted to make sure we were being compliant - or steering organizations to be non-compliant. So just to reconfirm: there's no restriction on monetizing YouTube videos for Google Grant Grantees?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Marc K
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marc,

Correct, there are no restrictions on monitizing YouTube videos, even for non-profits.

G+ | Community Profile

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robert -

I've been researching the youtube.com/nonprofits option for a non-profit organization that has a Google Grants setup already in place. Would this non-profit organization be able to set up ads for their YouTube channel under their Google Grants setup? Or would that violate the terms of Grants?

Not quite sure how it all works, but it seems that our director --- at some point prior to my arrival --- attempted to set up advertising for the YouTube channel under the organization's AdWords account and ended up "breaking" it. This reportedly required jumping through many hoops to reinstate it ...

... so, understandably, they don't want their Grants setup to "break" again. ;-)

Any feedback you can provide on this topic would be of great help. Many thanks.

P.S. To be clear, we aren't looking to monetize videos on our channel. We're looking to drive traffic *to* our YouTube channel and/or specific videos ... just like we would drive traffic to our primary website. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Raymond H

Unfortunately, the nonprofit would NOT be able to set up ads for their YouTube channel under their Google Grants setup. To run ads on YouTube, it would need to be done under a different AdWords account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much for this clear reply. Most helpful!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, @Andrew M @Marc K @RobertCoats @Raymond H

And now You can even get money from Crowdfunding, or just simply ask donation..!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.