Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Grants Enrollment is Impossible!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello friends,

I've been attempting to enroll my client in the Google Grants program for the last (4) days and it would appear to be impossible to do so.

My client has received the Google Non Profit status and one would think the process for Google Grants would be simple.  It is anything but simple.  After following VERY specific directions involving a new Google Adwords account in order to receive Google Grants I first received an email stating it wasn't approved.  The only reason provided: it was "a technical issue."  This same email asks you to create a NEW Adwords account.  When you're click through on arrive to the account creation screen and try to enter a NEW email for the NEW account being requested of you, you're told that you're NOT allowed to use GMAIL.  ?????  

I then called in 4 times to Google Adwords.  Each representative clearly demonstrated a lack of knowledge about Google Grants.  Three of them placed me on a hold for "2-3 minutes" which actually takes 15-20 minutes and they still don't return to the call.  I asked for supervisor (3) times and (2) folks placed me on these long - and never return - holds and the 3rd person (a Google Operator) said she doesn't have the authority to give me a supervisor directly.  Can't Google afford a direct line from the operator to a supervisor?  Really?

I've been told to simply reapply for Google Grants via Google Non Profits and was promised it would be accepted in a day.  Instead I receive the same rejection email again.

I was told while on the phone with them that I could complete a satisfaction survey.  That survey was never asked of me.  Not even once!  

In short, if there's a way to actually get help from Google GRANTS and get the actual grant acceptance, I have no idea what steps to take and they clearly don't want to help me.  

Has any of you made it through this complete madness??

I've never experienced such incompetence and rudeness.  How very disappointing!!!

Duane

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Grants Enrollment is Impossible!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Does anyone see this post? I'm noticing I'm the only post on the first page that isn't receiving any replies.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes we can see the post! I believe we are waiting for the "big guns" to handle this as it seems you are following the instructions carefully. I completely understand the frustration, but know we are dedicated to helping community members, such as yourself, obtain and succeed with the Google Ad Grants program. I am hoping you will hear from @RobertCoats here shortly.

Rest assured we will work with you to alleviate the issue. Just may take some time so patience is always appreciated! I strongly strongly recommend going through HERE (and Mr. Coats) rather than the call-in help line. This is my personal opinion through my own experience.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your response and understanding Brian. I really have been quite shocked by the treatment we've received through the Google Adwords call-in line. I highly doubt I'll bother trying them again. There really is no point in doing so. I'm hoping one of the "big guns" does respond to my thread. That was my goal via phone: to talk to an experienced person who can clearly help us navigate towards solutions and not engage in random troubleshooting with a person who, quite frankly, was either guessing or worse yet - clearly lying to me. Fingers crossed! Smiley Happy Thanks again Brian.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
PS. In all fairness a Google Adwords rep did call me today. Unfortunately it displayed as an unknown caller from Puerto Rico (I live on the East Coast and don't currently have any friends in Puerto Rico) so I didn't answer. He left a voice mail saying he'd call back again (which he didn't) or I could check the email that he sent (which he also didn't do). LOL...it's crazy how bad their support is!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For now, I recommend using this forum and the help tickets with @RobertCoats until told otherwise. This way, you can track the progress (as can we).

I also do not mind helping if instructed OK to do so by one of the forum managers. I just don't know where to start [as you specifically have already received a Tech Issue flag, which is still TBD].

We're here. Patience is key. I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time - or at least have an answer!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Duane R

Respectfully, beyond the issue you mentioned about the Gmail address (which is a known intermittent issue that is being worked on) your email read more like you were an agency that was just wanting to vent about the frustrating experience you had and less like you were asking for help. I understand your frustrations. When the system doesn't work right it sucks... I get it. So if you want to vent... you are in your right. If you want help... let me know what you want help with and I will do everything that I can.

Rest assured, you are in the right place to get the help you need but I will need more information about your organization that we cannot post publicly here in the public forum due to privacy concerns. Please fill out this form and I can investigate the reason for the first rejection. When you fill out the form, please provide more information about what was included in the rejection email beyond "a technical issue."

(edit) PS - I have shared your posted frustrations with the Ad Grants team. They (as well as the various AdWords teams) do care about the quality of your experience. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks again for your reply Brian. I'm assuming from this response that you work for Google (i.e. need an OK to assist) and I appreciate your willingness to help. Mr. Coats did respond so it would seem the best course of action is to follow his instructions. Thanks for letting me know that we received a "Tech Issue flag." That wasn't conveyed to me, and I'm not sure what the means, but it's good to know. Finally, thanks for encouraging my patience. I need to hear that man! Have a great night!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Robert,

Thanks for you reply and for your direct, honest communication. I do understand how my first post read primarily as a person who was venting and appreciate your understanding about why we're so frustrated with the Google Grants process, the tech issues, conflicting or unclear communications, incompetent reps, being denied to supervisors, and - of course - being repeatedly lied to certainly raised my anger . We do, of course, want help and to resolve the issue with any individual who understands the problems at hand and how to correct them. Thanks for also sending along the feedback about our experiences. We do hope it's not the norm and that other non-profits don't receive similar treatment.

Re: the "agency" tone you've picked up on. My primary job is with a marketing agency, but my work with this non-profit is in no way connected to my agency. If my role is a concern for anyone, and you wish to talk directly to a staff person, I can arrange that for you. I offered to assist them in this matter as I have experience with Google Adwords and we agreed that would make the process easier for everyone if I set things up. I do care a great deal about this nonprofit and their wonderful work and mission. I'm attempting to do whatever I can to help them in this matter so "Yes!" I would love your help. That said, we do not want to go through the AdWords phone support anymore. That clearly has only increased the amount of problems and created even more confusion. On that note, and again in defense of the AdWords phone team, they have tried to reach me again today. Twice in fact. Unfortunately, they called at times when I can't pick up the phone and, again, they are directing me to an email that I never received and not providing a return phone number. The rep also mentioned in the voice mail that "it will take 2-3 weeks." It's not being conveyed why it would take that long or what "it" is. I'm assuming "it" means "approval." ???

The above stated, and following the advise of Brian and yourself, I feel the best course of action should be to complete the form you're requesting me to complete and attempt to work through the process via this forum. I'm doing that right after making this post. If you need any other kind of information from me, please don't hesitate to reach out to me again. I can also provide you with my phone number at your request. Whatever you need to help us out transcend beyond the stucks and confusion man, I'm game. Just let me know.

Peace,
Duane

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello again Brian,

I've been doing, well some Googling, and trying to discover some of my own answers as I wait for clarity about our grant application. I stumbled upon an individual who has gone through similar issues for MONTHS who has also been posting in this forum. I'm wondering about you, your relationship with Google, and if you've heard similar stories. I'm all for being patient if that's the best approach. I truly am. But - like many nonprofits - we have very minimal resources (including manhours) and if the patience goes on for months and still never leads to the desired goal, we'd love to know that now.