Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Grants - Daily Budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

We are managing an Adwords Grants account and want to go to the next level (Google Grants Pro). To do so, we are optimizing the campaigns to get more traffic, and therefore, reach a higher daily budget.

The question is, could we have a higher overall daily budget for the account (not just USD329)? As the account is capped in order to be below the USD10,000 limit, we won’t have a higher monthly investment than that. Would that cause a problem?

If that means a problem, we'll have to increase the daily budget in the campaign that has the most traffic, and decrease or pause those which can't reach it, even though they are also important to our business...

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Juan

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author juancarre
September 2015

Re: Google Grants - Daily Budget

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Juan,
It is recommended that you set your budget according to the business needs of your organization. Regardless if you set the campaign budgets over $329 your account will only spend $329 a day.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Juan- We have been doing AdGrants for a year. I had the same issue...so what I did was to set the daily budget on my highest activity campaigns to 335-, and since then, I have maxed out the adspend every day since we did that.

Google will AUTO cap the whole account at 329 (give or take a few dollars) each day. We do a lot of testing, so setting the max budget on 2 campaigns works for us...

At least that works for us....Lawrene

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Juan,
It is recommended that you set your budget according to the business needs of your organization. Regardless if you set the campaign budgets over $329 your account will only spend $329 a day.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert,

Thanks a lot for your help. My last question on this would be, do you know if the $329 overall daily budget is recommended or mandatory for Google Adwords Grants?

Many thanks,

Juan
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Juan- We have been doing AdGrants for a year. I had the same issue...so what I did was to set the daily budget on my highest activity campaigns to 335-, and since then, I have maxed out the adspend every day since we did that.

Google will AUTO cap the whole account at 329 (give or take a few dollars) each day. We do a lot of testing, so setting the max budget on 2 campaigns works for us...

At least that works for us....Lawrene

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Thanks both for your responses!

I have the same problems with this... Not easy to maximize the spend to reach the Grants Pro and optimize based on business needs at the same time.

Best regards,

Juan

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

"Not easy to maximize the spend to reach the Grants Pro and optimize based on business needs at the same time."

@juancarre - What good is an additional $30K per month of free advertising if you are not optimizing to business needs to begin with? 

And chances are pretty good that if you are just optimizing your account for spend, you will not be approved for GrantsPro since to be approved for Grantspro you need to show that you are spending your current Grant effectively to reach your business goals.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robert,

I think that you have misunderstood my words (probably I have expressed myself incorrectly). 

I think that you could understood better the problem I was trying to explain with this example: In an animal shelter account I was managing, I had "adoption" campaigns, which had a lot of traffic, and "dog training" ones, which didn't have much, and weren't reaching the daily budget all days. Having those "dog training" campaigns activated meant a problem to reach the $9,900 target to be elegible for Google Grants Pro. I was having a problem of budget allocation I was trying to solve. That was what I meant by "maximizing spend and optimizing based on business needs": the animal shelter wanted to keep that "dog training" campaign, which was underspending, activated.

Solutions I thought for that case to reach the minimum spend (during two months) to be elegible for Google Grants Pro:

1. Pausing the "dog training" campaigns during two months and focusing on "adoption" ones.

2. Copying the "dog training" adgroups inside the "adoptions" campaign for two months and increasing the daily budget of this campaign.

I don't think that Google would have penalized me for choosing the first option, as adoptions were the core business for the animal shelter, but I had a challenge there, as the dog training campaign was also important for them. Therefore, I chose the second option.

Having read my explanation again, I think that the phrase I was trying to say was: "Not easy to maximize the spend to reach the Grants Pro and optimize daily budgets based on business needs at the same time."

Anyway, I have been giving a thought to this, and I came up with a possible solution: using shared budgets.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2517512?hl=en

If that could be used in Google Grants, I think that could have been a solution in first instance.

Thanks again everyone for your help,

Juan

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @juancarre

Yes, you can certainly use shared budgets and I do recommend it often (and likely should have in this case).

I just caution you on focusing too much on spend since hitting that $9900 spend level should NOT be your main goal. While it is certainly a required metric to be eligible for Grantspro you will only be approved for Grantspro if you have spent that $9900 effectively and in a manner that has had a true impact on the mission of your organization. And even then, Grantspro is not guaranteed. 

"Due to limited space in the program and the number of high quality applicants, meeting the minimum eligibility requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the Grantspro program. But, all eligible applications will be reviewed.

Google reserves the right to grant or deny an organization’s application or participation at any time, for any reason, and to amend or supplement these eligibility guidelines at any time. Selections are made at Google’s sole discretion, and are not subject to external review."

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert!

Of course it's not my first goal, but as we have been close to the spend target the past months, it's important to the NGO reaching it, and therefore, having more spend to increase the relevant traffic coming to the site through Grants program.

I have managed to upgrade to the Grants Pro in the case of the animal shelter account. Let's see if we can do the same with the other one due to the limited space in program...

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Wow Juan...good job on getting the GrantsPro for the animal shelter! Do you mind sharing privately what your Goals, impact, and extra spend sections said? If so, my e-mail is: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Please note it is counter to our Posting Guidelines to request that others contact you outside the forum, and/or to provide your contact information in a forum post.