AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Grants Adwords Reporting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Community, 

I was hoping someone could answer a couple questions I have about the metrics in Google grants adwords accounts. 

1. I've been getting really high search impression share numbers on low impression numbers. A paid campaign under similar keywords done a year prior showed substantially more impressions and lower share. Is comparing the two comparing apples to oranges? I know that the search impression share is share of "eligible" impressions, so are the eligible impressions when using a Google grant account only searches where Google grant results were present or is it all instances those keywords were searched?

2. Related to the above, I know that google grant results will only appear below paying advertisers. Does that mean that they will only appear at a certain position - i.e. third result on the page -  or does it mean that there is limited inventory for paid search results on the page and if that inventory is all taken by paying advertisers then no Ad Grants ads will place on that page altogether?

3. Average position - Similar to search impression share, my average position seems quite high. Is it a question of scale or does it reporting only in comparison to other grants accounts? For example, is the high number the result of the ad group showing up less frequently but when it does it places high? Or is it reporting that the ad group is averaging position 1 among google grant competition, but still below paid search results ie. making average position 1 actually position 3 when looking at the page?

Obviously ad rank and other factors play a role in any ads position. I'm just curious about general rules and the reporting around them. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

1. Yes... Maybe. It's rare that all things are equal in a situation like this. Once you add in all the rules of Google grants, that adds even more variables. 

2. Both. There is no guarantee of a specific position, but higher ranking paid advertisers are more likely to win the available ad slots, especially on the first page. If there are more advertisers for the first page than there are ad slots, someone is going to get left out. 

3. "is the high number the result of the ad group showing up less frequently but when it does it places high?" Yes, exactly. Whether it's a grants account or not, sometimes average position as a sole metric can be misleading. There is no guarantee of the SERPs, so you may be accruing a "high" position in certain cases when the ad inventory is smaller or there are fewer advertisers. If there is only one ad on the page, and that ad is at the bottom of the page, it may be more difficult for paying advertisers the generate a return under those circumstances, so they make optimizations to exclude that sort of thing. Then that leaves an "open" ad slot that a grants account can come into, because the ROAS isn't as much of a concern for grants.

@RobertCoats is the grants expert. Hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong, or perhaps add some further insight to the grants specific ad position and ranking rules. Smiley Happy

Tom

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

So many variables and most of these variables are AdWords specific more than Ad Grants specific. Additionally, there have been LOTS of changes to the AdWords system and its algorithms over the past year. Even an existing AdWords account is unlikely to have the same metrics as it did a year ago and this is especially true if the paid account was reproduced in a new AdWords account that doesn't have the same "history".

I will say this though... ads from an Ad Grants account can appear in top positions.