Guide Me
star_border

Google Grant - domain & subdomains

p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
p w
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Within the Google Grants AdWords guidelines, can I use different subdomains for my non-profit? 

Forexample in one ad - mynonprofit.org, in another - mynonprofit.org/programs, and in other ads - mynonprofit.org/events?  

I thought this was the case but when completing the application process, I was repeatedly told we needed to use the same URL. The URL would be different, but the domain would remain the same. 

thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Google Grant - domain & subdomains

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi p w,
If you applied for Google Grants with "mynonprofit.org" then you must use that URL in your ads, but of course, you can specify variations as you mentioned:

mynonprofit.org/events
mynonprofit.org/programs
mynonprofit.org/aboutus

Kathleen

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RobertCoats (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi p w,
If you applied for Google Grants with "mynonprofit.org" then you must use that URL in your ads, but of course, you can specify variations as you mentioned:

mynonprofit.org/events
mynonprofit.org/programs
mynonprofit.org/aboutus

Kathleen

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi PW,

As Kathleen confirms , it is actually recommended to use domain variations to influence our quality score. If you send targeted traffic utilizing related keywords to your sub domains that will impact your relevancy and provide a better user experience assisting you with a good ad rank overall and lowering your bid amount.

You can get more info on this topics in the link below:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752122?hl=en

Cheers,
Vineesh..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi pw,
To add on to @KathleenG 's excellent response, you can also use subdomains such as:
events.mynonprofit.org
programs.mynonprofit.org
aboutus.mynonprofit.org

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We applied for the Google Grant under the domain of our organisation. However, our organisation's mission is to provide a number of very distinct digital tools for social good, each of which has its own separate site and domain. These tools are well-established and have been running on their domains for up to 10 years.

Adwords were working well for us when we could point them at each of these separate domains. They are where the actual transactions happen: our main website (with the domain that we applied for) is really only a web presence for our organisation.

Since the single domain rule, we have been wondering what best to do. Our project sites are complex: moving them to our main domain would be a drastic option, although perhaps one that we should consider.

So, my questions:

1. I've seen conflicting advice about whether to create informational landing pages which would then deliver people to our project sites: would this be disallowed? We are somewhat reluctant to put that in place anyway, as the extra click will presumably result in a substantial drop-off of users.

2. As our sites are all transaction-based, would it be permissable to create a landing page on our main domain, including the transactional form, then, when the submit button was clicked, direct users onto the second page of our other sites? For our particular set of circumstances, this is seeming like the best option right now.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Myfanwy N - Welcome to the community. I'm glad to help clarify any questions you may have.

Both of the options that you listed above are permissible. But I wanted to provide additional insight into option #1 since you said that you have seen conflicting advice about rather to create informational landing pages that would then deliver people to the project sites.

Yes, having a page that talks about an event or project that and then links over to a secondary website that is owned by the nonprofit, is in fact permissible and it is the option that was recommended by the Ad Grants team with the launch of the new single domain policy.

Where some of the confusion may come up is linking to third-party websites, which is not allowed. This includes third-party sites such as Facebook, Crowdrise and others where the nonprofit may have a profile page, but does not own the domain name.

For the most part, the difference between the two comes down to ownership of the 2nd website. For example:

ALLOWED: Having a landing page on the approved domain that then links over to a 2nd website owned by the nonprofit.

NOT ALLOWED: Having a landing page on the approved domain that then links over to a 2nd website owned by a third-party.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for the clarification, which I'll report back to my team. Much appreciated!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Being a very small nonprofit, we have farmed out many of our web-based functions. The most clear of them is constantcontact.com, which we use to maintain a newsletter email list. I hate to need such specific direction, but since this is a "third party" then we are prohibited under the rules of the Ad Grant to create an AdWords campaign that would send people to our newsletter email list?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@americanrainwater

You cannot send traffic directly to constantcontact.com with your Ad Grant. In other words, you cannot use a ConstantContact page as your landing page for your AdWords ads.

You CAN use the Ad Grant to send traffic to the pages of your website and have users sign up to your newsletter via your website. Having constantcontact power your newsletter is certainly OK.

If you need further clarification, please feel free to let me know.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Robert. Not to be rude, but I see there are "AdWords Accepted Solutions." Can I trust that advice given by a knowledgeable source such as yourself will keep us out of trouble even if it does not have the "AdWords Accepted Solution" label? Does Google remove incorrect posts by less knowledgeable posters?