Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google For Non-Profits Program Signup - NTEE Category Code And Guidestar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings:

I have several non-profits that have shown interest in the Google Non-Profits program.
The main interest will be to utlize Google Grants (Adwords). I've already taken the time to study
various aspects of the non-profits and grants program.

Even so, with my first attempt at walking through the signup proceedure with the first non-profit
client, the application was rejected. No indication is given concerning the reason for rejection,
but I am fairly certain the non-profit used the wrong address. They used an old address which did not match the IRS - Guidestar address. (Yes, I had mention this to them, but they wanted to try the old address.)

While I could assume the rejection was based on the address mismatch, I want to make sure
their NTEE category code is acceptable. You can see their Guidestar profile here -> http://goo.gl/mYdsuq

Before reapplying, how can we determine if their NTEE code is acceptable? It's Parks and Playgrounds (N32). Also, I would assume they should claim and then fill out their Guidestar profile too. Correct?

Note, this organization maintains 1000 miles of hiking trails within New York State. Profiles of other similar non-profits have multiple codes and/or different codes compared to this non-profit. See this non-profit for example http://goo.gl/WTu5EA. I mention this if the code N32 is not acceptable.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim S
March 2016

Re: Google For Non-Profits Program Signup - NTEE Category Code And Guidestar

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Tim S

As I am sure you know, the following organizations are not eligible for Google for Nonprofits:
Governmental entities and organizations.
Hospitals and health care organizations.
Schools, childcare centers, academic institutions, and universities (philanthropic arms of educational organizations are eligible). 

So unless the organization is run by a local government agency (which this one does not appear to be), then the NTEE of N32 should not be posing a problem and it certainly does not pull up on my list of those that are ineligible.

I do recommend that the Guidestar information be accurate before applying. (Or in this case, re-applying.)

Re: Google For Non-Profits Program Signup - NTEE Category Code And Guidestar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. In this case, the organization is not run by a local government nor do they fit any of the non-eligible criteria. I'm going to have them "claim" their Guidestar profile and make it more complete. Then we will walk them back through the process using the address listed in Guidestar.

Really appreciate the help.

Tim