Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords grant - currency issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I've followed the instructions here to set up a google adwords account so I can then apply for an adwords grant. However, despite me having set up 2 separate accounts today, the currency keeps showing in £GBP rather than USD which I selected both times. It says that I can't apply for a grant if the currency is in GBP but I've not selected it, it's just automatically changed.

Please help!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kat L
March 2016

Re: Google Adwords grant - currency issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mine is now resolved. I had a live chat and screenshare with a nice chap from Google who managed to change it to $USD for me. They couldn't see why it was reverting to £GBP though. All fixed now.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kat,

Make sure you are following the EXACT steps below:

It is VERY important that you ignore requests for billing information. Entering in any information within billing will turn the account into a regular paid AdWords account. Please read the following help article: Ignore requests for billing information for additional information.

Equally important is that you follow the steps as outlined in the Account Creation Guide.

Particularly Step 4: Submit your account for review

1. Go into your account and confirm the following:

• Currency set to US Dollar: The bids and budgets in your campaign should be shown in US Dollars ($)
  • No billing information added: If you click the settings icon in the top-right corner of your account and choose “Billing”, you should see a request to choose a country (no payment method visible).

If your account is set up on a currency other than US Dollar, or billing information was added,, you’ll need to create a new account starting with step 1 of this guide. Otherwise, continue.

2. If you had already started filling out an Ad Grants application form, go back now and finish the form. If you haven’t started, follow the submission process for your country.

For all countries that are under the Google For Nonprofits program (such as US and Australia) the submission process is as follows:

1. Sign in to your Google for Nonprofits account.
    Be sure to sign in using your Google for Nonprofits administrator account. This is the account that you used when you applied for Google for Nonprofits. It may be different than the account you use to access the product in which you're enrolling.
  2. Click the 'Sign up now' button.
  3. Click the 'Enroll' button underneath Google Ad Grants.
  4. Confirm that your AdWords account is configured correctly.

See Grants Account Creation Guide for instructions on setting up your AdWords account.

5. Enter your AdWords customer ID in the form field and complete the form.
  6. Click 'Enroll'.

After that, it will take about 24-48 hours and then you will receive an email stating your AdWords account is approved for Ad Grants and that your account is active

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Kat L

Sorry to hear that you are running into issues. Before escalating, I just want to be doubly sure that I am understanding correctly.

1. Your charity is in the UK. 
  2. You followed the steps in the guide and added US Dollar as the currency - you did not add GBP.
  3. The system reverts to GBP.

Is that correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the exact same issue, I have tried with four different accounts now, even tried to say I am in the US always reverts to GBP.

@RobertCoats Can you help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same issue, just that my charity is in Romania and even though I selected US dollar, I get RON currency when I set up my first campaign (in the bid & budget sections lower in the campaign page). (I tried creating another account and it s the same thing.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jordan

Thanks for responding. Yes I have followed these steps thanks. I haven't entered any billing info and I have selected USD (at the very beginning of the process when I was first setting up my adwords account - I even selected that I was based in the US on the second application but to no avail. It seems to just know that I'm based in the UK (I'm guessing as my gmail account is registered here) and it's automatically switching it, despite what I've manually selected on set up.

Kat

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert

Thanks for responding.

1 - Yes, we're based in London

2 - Yes - I added USD (twice as I've created 2 accounts with different organisation email addresses)

3 - Yes, it reverts to GBP despite me selecting it twice with 2 accounts.

As you're aware, I can't apply for adwords grants if my account is in any other currency other than USD.

Many thanks
Kat

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
All - this issue has been escalated up to the Google Ad Grants team. Once I have a status I will follow back up here in the thread Thank you for reporting the issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Robert, I have the same issue, applying from Australia. Currency reverts to $A even though I chose USD. I even tried creating a brand new gmail address to use, but have the same issue. Looking forward to hearing your follow up on this issue.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the exact same problem! I think I have already created five different accounts and every account and the selected currency ended up being reverted into €. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with this issue.