Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords Grant

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been spending a lot of time trying to set up the Goole Ad Grant.  I applied under my email <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>.  The organization was approved, but the account had technical errors at the account level.  Below, I have cut and paste the reply from Google Ad Grants:

Thank you for applying to Google Ad Grants and submitting your account for review. Although your organization has been approved, we found errors in your AdWords account that make it ineligible for Google Ad Grants activation.   The errors were made on the account level and cannot be changed in your existing account.  In order to become a Grantee, you'll need to create a new account and submit it for review. 

The AdWords account you submitted is affected by a technical issue and cannot be activated for Ad Grants.  Please create a new AdWords account and follow the instructions in the Account Creation Guide to avoid further errors.

***PLEASE NOTE: When you create a new AdWords account, you must choose a different email address than you used for your initial account.

So, I followed the instructions and created a new account and submitted it for review.  This time I used <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>.   I received the following reply a day later:

Thank you for applying to the Google for Nonprofits program.

We regret to inform you that your application for Adaptive Expeditions has  
not been approved. A Google for Nonprofits application has already been  
submitted for Adaptive Expeditions.

According to the first instructions, the only way to correct the "Account level technical problem" was to create a new account.   But the new account was rejected because the old account already existed.  Is there any way out of this loop? 

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines, in order to protect privacy and account security.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Adwords Grant

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Joseph

Welcome to the Adwords community and congratulations on the initial acceptance to the google grants programme.

I am sure this will be able to be resolved quickly and you can get started. From time to time these small hiccups occur.

Although I cannot help you myself, I can hopefully point you to a more experienced community member who is a Google Grants Top Contributor @robertcoates https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/186 who I am sure will be able assist you.

Good luck and all the best

James G

@RobertCoats

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager in order to add a flag for Robert Coats.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It appears that the field in the link you provided just comes back to this same forum. So, I followed the link to get to Robert's website. I cut and paste the original question into his email form.

After thinking more about the issue, one big question I have is: What is meant by the "Account Level" in the first set of instructions? There seems to be many layers of "Accounts": Google Account, Google Non-profits Account, AdWords Account.

I get that an Adwords account can have multiple Campaigns (I've been using Adwords for other businesses for years), But am I correctly presuming that one Google Account (associated with one email) cannot have two AdWords Accounts? I made this presumption and created a new Google Account with the new email address per the first set of instructions. Maybe, I was supposed to stay within the same Google Account and somehow create a second Adwords account with a separate email? Is that even possible? Can you tell from the instructions what they intended for me to?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @C Joseph M

It sounds like on your second attempt, you re-applied for Google For Nonprofits instead of Ad Grants through AdWords. (Fairly common mistake.) You can use a different email address with AdWords/Ad Grants than the one you used with G4NP although it is not recommended.

As for using the same login credentials, it can be done but it will take a few steps since you will need to UNassociate that email address from the old AdWords account.

1) Create a NEW email address to use with the OLD AdWords account. 

2) Have the OLD email address invite the NEW address to access the OLD account. Set the NEW email up as an administrator.

3) Have the NEW email address then revoke access of the OLD email address.

4) The OLD address has now been unassociated from the OLD AdWords account and can be used to set up the NEW AdWords account following the steps exactly as outlined in the Grants Account Creation Guide

Just be sure to follow the steps exactly as outlined in the Grants Account Creation Guide and that should eliminate any account issues that you are currently running into.

If you do run into additional issues, feel free to follow back up. We are certainly here to help.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Robert. I will not get a chance to look into the issue and try again this week. I would love to opportunity to ask more questions once I am back in the office next week. I will attempt the solution and post my results at that time. Sorry for the delay.