5.4K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Ad Grants account suspended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently had our google ad grant enrollment approved and setup our first campaign which has a status 'eligible'. The ads in the campaign say 'approved' and the keywords are 'eligible', however we now have a red pop-up saying the Ad Words account is suspended because it contains major or repeated violations of advertising policy and the ads have never run. To the best of my knowledge we have followed the instructions issued in the guidelines.

I'm confused because it's not clear what exactly is wrong and therefore the steps I can take to resolve the issue. I have tried to contact google by phone but the automated message says 'account suspended', and by email only to get an automated response to effectively say 'account suspended'. The Live Chat functionality does not seem to be working for me either.

I appreciate that the detail here might not be enough for someone in the community to help me to resolve directly, but I'd really like to be able to speak to somebody at Google who can help. What is our best option to progress?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Ad Grants account suspended

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Derek S

When you log in to your Google For Nonproift (G4NP) profile and go too the products enrollment page, what does is the status listed under Ad Grants?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @RobertCoats ,

The status listed under Ad Grants is 'Approved'.

Could it be that the G4NP profile login is on an existing Google profile I had before I had to setup a new profile to manage AdWords account?

Derek

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Derek S

If it is listed as "Approved" in the G4NP portal then the suspension message you see is likely coming from an AdWords violation as opposed to an Ad Grants violation. Rest assured, both types of issues can often be resolved.

Has someone from Google contacted you about the issue? Did you receive an email stating what the issue was? If not, a call to AdWords support my be required to determine the cause of the suspension - they should also be able to look into the account and determine if it is actually an AdWords or Ad Grants violation. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @RobertCoats

The exact message we have on the AdWords account is:

"Your account is suspended - We've had to suspend your AdWords account because it contains major or repeated violations of our advertising policies. Learn more"

I have tried to call and email Google via contact routes provided, however to date only received automated responses on inputting our customer ID number. The automated response, which seems generic has been along the lines of:

"While reviewing your account, we found violations of our AdWords policies in this or a related account. As a result, your account has unfortunately been suspended, and your ads will no longer run on Google."

I'm going to try find an alternative contact route to see if we can hone in on what the issue is and try resolve it quickly, but it's certainly not been easy!

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Derek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello again,

Having now made repeated requests to Google to see if we can solve and un-suspend our account, we seem to be stuck in limbo and told the 'AdWords' account is suspended and no further discussion will be entered into.

We successfully applied for enrolment in the Google for non profits scheme using an account that had an existing AdWords association.

To apply for Google Ad Grants scheme, we set up a new AdWords account profile as per the guidelines set out by Google. We used this new AdWords account (free from any billing details and using an email with our organisation's domain) to successfully enable our Google Ad Grants scheme by setting up our first campaign.

The campaign has never run in the few weeks it's been enabled. We have thoroughly checked the terms and conditions to see if we were infringing them but genuinely cannot see any error on our part. With Google AdWords seemingly unable or unwilling to enter into any further contact and instructing us not to attempt to create any new AdWords profile we effectively has a successful Google for Non-Profits account that we cannot use.

Can anyone help?

Is there any way to confirm which AdWords account has been registered for enrolment against the Google Ad Grants scheme? I can't see anything in the Google for Non Profits account and this is the only thing I can think of that might be causing a problem if for some reason the association between the two has not been made.

Derek

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Derek S

I'll be glad to investigate this for you but I will need some additional information about your organization that we cannot post publicly here in the public forum due to privacy concerns. Please fill out this form and I can escalate to the Ad Grants team for you. Just keep in mind, this issue may extend beyond that of Ad Grants.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @RobertCoats - I've completed the form and hope we might be able to work out what's going wrong. Appreciate your time and patience. Kind regards, Derek

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @RobertCoates - just following up to see if you are able to shed any light on what's going wrong based on the information we provided on the form? Is it an Ad Words or Ad Grant team related issue we have and do you have any advice on how we can resolve? Kind regards, Derek

Google Ad Grants account suspended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @RobertCoats

Bulgaria Design Group's AdWords account was suspended. After asking the AdWords support for a possible explanation, they answered that the reason is probably the keywords, because the keywords advertise the NGO not as a charity organization, but rather as an agency that charges fees for incoming orders.

After reviewing the keywords we have used, we confirmed that there were really keywords like "agency", "design agency", etc. used in the AdWords campaign However, the only reason these keywords were added in the BDG's campaigns is because we trusted the keywords suggestion tool and didn't pay close attention to the policies we may break by automatically use the tool's suggestion.

As a result the BDG's AdWords account was suspended. I would like to have the opportunity to explain the case to AdWords that BDG does not charge anyone for incoming orders, and that could be proved by reviewing all of the ads in the BDG's account and the website itself as well. BDG only promotes Bulgaria as a graphic design outsourcing destination. Our ads aim to stimulate more young professional to become members of BDG in order to have access to incoming orders. We do not charge any fees and don't operate as an agency. The policy violation of using keywords that are more typical for agencies, than for charity NGOs, is due to following a wrong logic on our behalf - viz. trusting the keyword tool without paying close attention to the policies that may have been violated by adding in BDG's campaigns every suggested keyword from the tool.

I am sure that by reviewing BDG's AdWords account, you will find my explanation reasonable. That's why I would like to ask you to reactivate BDG's account because so far our participating in the AdGrants program was more than helpful for the BDG's missions - our members have increased, the interest to our free monthly events also grew and more people heard about us. Right now we're trying to spread the word for our Pro-Bono program and by reactivating the AdWords account, you would help us let more people know that they can turn to BDG for free graphic design services for projects of public interest.

By now I have removed all of the keywords that may have broken the Adwords policies, so I hope we can continue our work with the Ad Grants program.