Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Ad Grants Success Stories Live on Site

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Visit our new Success Stories page to learn about how a few Grantees utilized Google Ad Grants to help them achieve their marketing goals. 

If you have a success story that you want to share fill out our Success Story Form and you could be highlighted on our site. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Ad Grants Success Stories Live on Site

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
The case studies are awesome Ariane. Will be very helpful in encouraging more non profits to sign up.

Cheers,
Vineesh..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ariane - I'm looking at the UK testimonals and The Open University state they have had over 400,000 clicks since recieving thier grant however I though UK education establishments were not eligiable for Google Ad Words grant? This is clearly stated in the eligability criteria. Please explain Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd have a stab at the answer to this by saying they are not selling anything, therefore they are eligible to receive the grant. It's 400,000 clicks and their keywords are generic, promoting the universities themselves, open days but not selling a product.

I'd also say because it is the OU, it is not a Schools, childcare centres, academic institutions and universities as in bricks and mortar. 

But it is definitely a gray area.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Some education Grantees have an arm where they promote specifically for a nonprofit cause. So in some cases where there is Free Learning and they have a 501c3 associated with that arm, Google may allow for them. They are not allowed to promote any type of classes where they collect tuition. In cases like that, Google does not accept them. Google reviews websites on a case by case basis, so it really varies by Grantees.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This has been highly informative. I'm in the process of starting a Google Partner Agency with the sole purpose of marketing towards Google Grants potential clients.

If the above is indeed true then I have the whole university sector to look at to. My problem is that I really need to speak to someone at Google in the UK about my agency idea and make sure I'm following things like the above and not breaking any rules.

Would love it if someone here could put me intouch with someone that helps run the Google Grant/non profit department here in the UK.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Scotty M the whole university sector is not likely to be suitable for this. Most of them offer commercial propositions via bricks and mortar.

In the terms it does specifically say universities are not eligible, but the OU slipped through because it was online.

The Q & A on the Google Grants page is as comprehensive as it gets. Google will not speak to you about your idea, but will support you as a Partner Agency when you qualify.

The skillful bit will be submitting the applications, then getting through the $10k for two consecutive months to get $40k moving forward. Once you get that then the charities get great money to promote their cause and you can make better fees for managing the accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jim thanks for the info. Sad to hear google would not speak to me, I haven't even asked yet Smiley Happy Even off the record we shall see.

Anyway the skilful bit will be getting clients I think, it's only an idea in my head at the moment and anytime I start talking adwords to charities they seem to find it hard to conseptulise compared to social media. I've been in touch with a couple of agencies that do non-profit adwords but it feels like i'm only touching the surface.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Scotty, if I can be so bold to suggest you get the idea out of your head and onto paper or digital form that you can step away from and go back to.

Every fantastic idea I had looked different after I slept on them. Some looked awful the next day and others looked even better.

The third sector arena is crying out for help, often though they don't appreciate the value an agency can bring to the table, and their cause is better than everyone elses cause.

When all is said and done, the charity ads appear after all the paying ads. I've seen scenarios where the charity/NFP decide they don't want to appear in the free spots and want to pay to play and as an agency you need to be able to evaluate the merits of that vs. taking the grant money, because you can't do both.

best of luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What a great way to get a tax break for giving away clicks you can't sell.

Or is buying a success story now necessary?

Recent changes have made my clicks extremely expensive and so poorly performing that I have never seen such a low conversion rate.  But then I have only been doing this since 1999.

After MANY discussions with "Google partners" who are certified.  They seem well trained in the "wait and see" speech and very willing to completely ignore basic business metrics like you can't spend $400 to sell something with a $12 profit.

Its as if they somehow get paid to spend my money with zero regard if I ever make any.

I see this as there is an attitude that business are to be fleeced for every cent a search engine can disrupt the sale for.  Get between the customer and business create confusion so it needs to be "optimized" then fleece the business for the "process"  sounds more like government than private enterprise.  But then the government offers grants to make it seem like it hands out free money and is running a charity.  Oh wait that's what this discussion started about.