AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Google Ad Grant - Campaigns Question re: Violation or not?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have already been approved by the Google Grant for the charity I am working with. One of the products we are working with helps suppressing hunger. For every sale it generates, a percentage of the profits will go toward the foundation.  

I am trying to review the policy and make sure it won't violate the policy. The only red flag I saw is the following: Your ads may not offer financial products (like mortgages or credit cards), nor can they request donations of cars, boats, or other property.

I need to understand if that is okay or not. Thank you.

Wendy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wendy L
June

Re: Google Ad Grant - Campaigns Question re: Violation or not?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Wendy L

The main Ad Grants policy that would apply in this case would be the Mission-based campaigns policy which states:

The ads and keywords in your AdWords account must reflect the mission of your nonprofit organization and be relevant to your nonprofit's programs and services.

As such, unless the mission of your organization is to "suppress hunger" then the ad would not be approved.

Additionally, the policy also states:

Strictly commercial advertising is not allowed. If you intend to promote products or services, the sales and/or proceeds must directly support the nonprofit.

To be clear about the "directly support" terminology, the proceeds from any sales of the product must fully support the nonprofit, not just a "portion of". In other words, you cannot use the grant to sale a product for a third-party and then receive a "portion of the proceeds" similar to an affiliate commission.

Lastly, if your product "suppresses hunger" then it is going to be considered a supplement and then the AdWords policies on Healthcare and medicines will apply, as well as, the list of Unapproved pharmaceuticals and supplements.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wendy L
June

Re: Google Ad Grant - Campaigns Question re: Violation or not?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Wendy L

The main Ad Grants policy that would apply in this case would be the Mission-based campaigns policy which states:

The ads and keywords in your AdWords account must reflect the mission of your nonprofit organization and be relevant to your nonprofit's programs and services.

As such, unless the mission of your organization is to "suppress hunger" then the ad would not be approved.

Additionally, the policy also states:

Strictly commercial advertising is not allowed. If you intend to promote products or services, the sales and/or proceeds must directly support the nonprofit.

To be clear about the "directly support" terminology, the proceeds from any sales of the product must fully support the nonprofit, not just a "portion of". In other words, you cannot use the grant to sale a product for a third-party and then receive a "portion of the proceeds" similar to an affiliate commission.

Lastly, if your product "suppresses hunger" then it is going to be considered a supplement and then the AdWords policies on Healthcare and medicines will apply, as well as, the list of Unapproved pharmaceuticals and supplements.