AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Getting rejected due to "non-functioning website" - would appreciate some guidance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So we've been through the full approval process as a not-for-proft organisation in Australia, and we've been accepted into the Google not-for-profit program. G Suite is successfully working, and has been for months.  We are an amateur sport club for BMX racing.   I decided that it would be beneficial to try and use AdWords as a way to promote the club and boost membership, so I've followed the steps required to enrol for AdGrants.  I'm getting rejected for the ambiguous "non-functioning website".  I've cut and pasted the URL from our first ad into a browser and confirmed that the page is live and loading.  It's a one page web site focused on providing basic contact information to potential new members. http://lilydalebmx.club/

I strongly suspect that the rejection is due to the "There isn't very much information about the organisation that you're advertising and its mission, or the majority of the information is about another organisation." clause.  I could wax lyrical on the page about missions etc. but for our target audience in Australia the paradigm of the local not-for-profit sports club is very well understood.

I may have answered my own question, but if anyone is feeling generous and willing to look at our site and give me a few tips, I'd be grateful. 

Ian.

Getting rejected due to "non-functioning website" - would appreciate some guidance

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Ian,

From my experience, I had the same issue whenever I started the process to obtain the grant for the non-profit I volunteer. I got exactly the same rejection message. Called support team and they were clueless (they didn't even know what Ad Grants was...) so, I was on my own at that time. Eventually, what I discovered is that the website hosting was blocking visitors from Russia, China and India. So, that was the reason for the rejection, as the website should be globally accessible. Maybe this is not the case for you (I did a quick check with your website, and it seems to be OK), but maybe worth trying. 

Maybe that rejection message contains several reasons, but the actual message is generic and not ery helpful.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

David.

Re: Getting rejected due to "non-functioning website" - would appreciate some guid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David,

Thanks for your reply.  A very useful piece of advice.  I've found a number of tools to check how, and if, my site can be seen from other countries.  The results are mixed.  One ping test claims 100% packet loss from most places around the world, and yet some of the geotools I've tried are able to pull the website (and display it as it is seen from their perspective) and it all looks good.  As you say, the reasons are vague.  It feels like Google should break down non-functioning into three parts: 1. Content is inadequate, and 2. Incorrect link in ad, and 3. website not globally available.  Then at least we'd have guidance.  It's a shame really because AdGrants is aimed at not-for-profits and NFPs are typically staffed by volunteers.  It would be nice for Google to be helpful since it must be quite clear to the reviewer what the exact reason for rejection really is.  And it would stop unnecessary resubmissions!

I guess I'll have to keep trying.  Additional web pages to improve clarity of our mission/NFP rationale is my next step.

Thanks again,

Ian.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All!

This is exactly the reason we seem to be getting rejected, but our website is able to be seen from everywhere. Is there someone to talk to give more information that you have found? Can you share some of the other tests you've run on your site?

Thanks,

Sunday Love Team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margaux,

I managed to find a phone number for AdWords, and I rang them, because I wasn't getting any better answers.  When I finally got through, the person I spoke to was able to speak to someone else in the team that actually does the approvals.  In our particular case, they felt that there wasn't enough information on the web site to show how we were a not-for-profit, for example, what is our mission as an organisation.

I've added more pages, but I haven't gone back to try and create the account yet.

I was a bit frustrated when they explained it to me because I feel that they shouldn't be dictating what a website should, or shouldn't look like.  In our case, we're a not-for-profit amateur sports club, so once you read the front page, you either get it, or you don't.  We're not a charity trying to raise broad support from around the globe.  Yet there seems to be a one-size-fits-all approach.

We had to go through a fairly rigorous process to qualify as not-for-profit.  It's a shame that once you've done that you're not given more leniency.  I hope that something above is helpful to you.

Ian.