AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Do Google Grantees have a need for marketing support?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm a professor of Marketing at Benedictine University, and I helped the National Tiger Sanctuary apply for and receive a Google Grant (www.nationaltigersanctuary.org).

I teach Search Engine Marketing, and I was wondering if there is a need out there for Google Grantees to get support on their use of Adwords - either through free remote interns, or affordable marketing services?

I wondered if there are companies out there that specifically target non-profits to help them apply for and manage their Google Grants - like if the market is already crowded, or if there might be the need for that kind of thing. I have been looking for a way to give students experience.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Todd K
September 2015

Re: Do Google Grantees have a need for marketing support?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Todd,
Yes, there are a lot of agencies and individuals that provide support to Grantees that need assistance with their Ad Grant. Many are qualified and many are just learning AdWords.

For a list of qualified agencies around the world, one just needs to browse the Google For Nonprofits Marketplace. Simply filter by product and select 'AdWords' to see a list of agencies that specialize in helping nonprofits with Ad Grants. (*disclosure - my agency is listed in there as well.)

'Google For Nonprofit Featured Providers' are Google Partners that have been carefully vetted by Google and meet rigorous qualification standards. Nonprofits often find that they can achieve more success with Google Ad Grants by hiring an agency that is a Google Partner that specializes in AdWords and in particular Ad Grants. 'Google For Nonprofit Featured Providers' often provide their services at reduced rates.

While many grantees do have interns manage their Ad Grants account (and many do it successfully so), personally, I would not recommend Ad Grants for interns or those that are just learning. The reason is because there is certainly a lot to learn about AdWords itself and many find successfully just managing a regular AdWords account to be challenging in itself. For example, just look at all of the questions that are posted here in the AdWords community on a daily basis. What many find is that AdWords is certainly easy to set up but to get the most out of it does take skill and experience.

When it comes to Ad Grants (Google's nonprofit version of AdWords), it has unique challenges and restrictions that go beyond the normal challenges of a regular AdWords account. In addition to these platform challenges, nonprofits also typically serve in niches that present their own unique marketing challenges. Nonprofit marketing is a skill in and of itself.

With well intentions to help nonprofits, many think that since Google is providing a $10,000/month ad budget that it is 'free money' and that because of that it doesn't matter if it is wasted through mistakes of mismanagement while someone learns AdWords. 

As someone who has audited a large number of Ad Grants accounts, I can tell you that it DOES matter and it SHOULD matter to the nonprofit. Mismanagement equals missed opportunities for the nonprofit and that could mean the difference of a nonprofit meeting its mission or not. As the saying goes, "mission is critical" and this is especially true of nonprofits.

Many nonprofits are life changing and many are even lifesaving - a well managed Ad Grant account could be the difference between more life changed and one more life saved.

Google's intent with Google Ad Grants is help nonprofits to increase their impact. It is not intended to be a training tool for individuals to learn AdWords. For learning AdWords, Google has a very extensive training program and even certification through the Google Partners program.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Todd K
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Todd,
Yes, there are a lot of agencies and individuals that provide support to Grantees that need assistance with their Ad Grant. Many are qualified and many are just learning AdWords.

For a list of qualified agencies around the world, one just needs to browse the Google For Nonprofits Marketplace. Simply filter by product and select 'AdWords' to see a list of agencies that specialize in helping nonprofits with Ad Grants. (*disclosure - my agency is listed in there as well.)

'Google For Nonprofit Featured Providers' are Google Partners that have been carefully vetted by Google and meet rigorous qualification standards. Nonprofits often find that they can achieve more success with Google Ad Grants by hiring an agency that is a Google Partner that specializes in AdWords and in particular Ad Grants. 'Google For Nonprofit Featured Providers' often provide their services at reduced rates.

While many grantees do have interns manage their Ad Grants account (and many do it successfully so), personally, I would not recommend Ad Grants for interns or those that are just learning. The reason is because there is certainly a lot to learn about AdWords itself and many find successfully just managing a regular AdWords account to be challenging in itself. For example, just look at all of the questions that are posted here in the AdWords community on a daily basis. What many find is that AdWords is certainly easy to set up but to get the most out of it does take skill and experience.

When it comes to Ad Grants (Google's nonprofit version of AdWords), it has unique challenges and restrictions that go beyond the normal challenges of a regular AdWords account. In addition to these platform challenges, nonprofits also typically serve in niches that present their own unique marketing challenges. Nonprofit marketing is a skill in and of itself.

With well intentions to help nonprofits, many think that since Google is providing a $10,000/month ad budget that it is 'free money' and that because of that it doesn't matter if it is wasted through mistakes of mismanagement while someone learns AdWords. 

As someone who has audited a large number of Ad Grants accounts, I can tell you that it DOES matter and it SHOULD matter to the nonprofit. Mismanagement equals missed opportunities for the nonprofit and that could mean the difference of a nonprofit meeting its mission or not. As the saying goes, "mission is critical" and this is especially true of nonprofits.

Many nonprofits are life changing and many are even lifesaving - a well managed Ad Grant account could be the difference between more life changed and one more life saved.

Google's intent with Google Ad Grants is help nonprofits to increase their impact. It is not intended to be a training tool for individuals to learn AdWords. For learning AdWords, Google has a very extensive training program and even certification through the Google Partners program.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Todd,

Back in 2008 or 2009 I participated in the Google Online Marketing Challenge as a student in one of my E-Marketing classes. We had to find and contact our own clients, determine their goals, and use a predetermined budget for 3 weeks (I think). Google required a Pre- and Post- writeup and ranked the teams (internationally) based on performance and the write-ups.

I think it was a great way to get an Introduction to AdWords and online marketing in a structured environment (and a lot of fun if you ask me). If they still offer that I would look into using that for your students.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Todd!

I am part of a non-profit (the International Brazilian Opera Company - IBOC - 501c3). We have recently received Google Add Grants and I was researching ways to make best use of the tools when I run into your January post.

I wonder if you have already addressed your education needs. It could be nice for us to have some marketing help online. Please let me know if you want to discuss it further.

For more info on our non profit, please visit:
www.brazilianopera.com

Or email: <edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

Best wishes.

Note: this post has been edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines, in order to protect privacy and account security. Please also note that it is counter to our guidelines to either offer or seek assistance outside of the forum.

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This older thread has been closed to new replies.