4.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Clicks for ads vs. clicks for extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having a good day. The total of all Campaign Clicks is 182 and the total cost so far is $297.36.

At the same time, the total Clicks for Ad Extensions is 133 and the total cost is $233.69.

Are the Ad Extension figures a subset of the Campaign clicks? In other words, are the Ad Extension clicks (133) part of the total (182), and the Ad Extension cost - $233.69 - part of the total $297.36?

How does that work? One cannot even see the Ad Extension until the Campaign Ad has been clicked on, so it would seem that there are two clicks to get to an Ad Extension.

Does it mean that a very high percentage of Campaign Ad clicks result in another click to the Ad Extension (133/182x100=73%)?

Does our account get charged for both clicks - the Campaign Ad and the Ad Extension, or just the total (in this case 182 and $297.36)?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Clicks for ads vs. clicks for extensions

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Americanrainwater,
If you are looking at the total cost under the Ad Extensions tab, then yes - the "cost" figure you are seeing represents the total cost incurred to you (by people clicking either on your ad or the sitelink itself) when your sitelinks were showing (but not necessarily clicked on the sitelink itself).

Sitelinks do show underneath your ads when they serve on google.com, and can be seen at the same time as the "main ad". A user can choose to click either on the main ad, or its headline, or the sitelink extensions. You only get charged once per click - regardless of where the click is (main ad headline, or extension).

Does this help?

Re: Clicks for ads vs. clicks for extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think I have it, but help me with some clarification.
When an Ad shows with the Ad Extensions (aka sitelinks) beneath, a click on anything - the main Ad, the headline or the sitelink extension - will register as a click for the Ad Extension as indicated under the Ad Extension tab?
Also, the cost shown for the Ad Extension is a subset of the total cost shown for All Campaigns?
Then the cost shown for Ad Extensions only reflects the times those Ad Extensions or sitelinks were shown along with the main Ad.
If that is the case, how does one measure the success of the Ad Extensions alone?

Clicks for ads vs. clicks for extensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Would like a follow up on this. Plus, if the ad extensions are declared in a campaign level, is it possible to show which adgroup the extensions are showing? Thanks!