Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Cancel Google adwords sign up

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm trying to apply for a Google Ad Grant for a client, yet I went to the wrong page to do this: https://adwords.google.com/um/GetStarted/Home?__u=7209664253&__c=9443323733&authuser=0#cp

Instead, I learned that in order to bypass the billing page you can only use this link: https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=adwords&hl=en-US&ltmpl=signup&passive=false&ifr=fal...

I've already started and it's not giving me an option to cancel the sign up. Is there a way around this or did I mess up big time?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Cancel Google adwords sign up

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Steven E

Rest assured, you did not mess up big time. Simply create a new account. However, if you are wanting to use the same login credentials, it can be done but it will take a few steps since you will need to UN-associate that email address from the old AdWords account.

1) Create a NEW email address to use with the OLD AdWords account. 

2) Have the OLD email address invite the NEW address to access the OLD account. Set the NEW email up as an administrator.

3) Have the NEW email address then revoke access of the OLD email address.

4) The OLD address has now been unassociated from the OLD AdWords account and can be used to set up the NEW AdWords account following the steps exactly as outlined in the Grants Account Creation Guide

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand this process, but I'm wondering if I don't even have the account in review (i'm still in the sign up pages) can I even give access to the new email at all?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Steven E

Since the account has not been activated as an Ad Grant account, it would be treated the same as a regular AdWords account.

However, if you have not entered any billing information as of yet, you may still be able to use this account for Ad Grants and by-pass the billing option by doing the following:

Download the Google Desktop editor (http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/) and open the account there. Finish the steps to build it out, being sure to follow the steps exactly as outlined in the Grants Account Creation Guide. Once you have finished building the account out, then simply upload back to Google AdWords and then submit your newly created account (as outlined in step 3 of the Account Creation Guide) for approval.

And you should be all set. If you run into further issues, please feel free to reach back out.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Following these steps, it still says that my first email is already associated with another adwords account and won't let me continue. Smiley Sad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I ended up contacting Google directly for this. They cancelled my previous customer ID and then gave me the link you gave. Apparently this has been a consistent issue they've had. I don't think there's a link to this setup on their Nonprofits site.