Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Can we use these keyword?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Our charity provides free support services and legal assistance to people who suffered from mistakes of lawyers, miscarriage of justice, wrongful convictions etc.

We have a Google Ad Grant account and are successfully bidding on keywords strictly related to this mission.

The charity also offers internships and volunteering opportunities in particular to law and communication students, who are critical to the mission of the charity.

We would like to understand whether we can bid on keywords such as:

"law volunteer"

"communication volunteer"

"law internship"

"internship in communication"

etc

We rang Google Adwords support and they said that as long as we don't get any money from these services (and we don't), we could bid on these keywords, but we have concerns on this and would like to get your opinion (possibly somebody from Google) black on white on whether we could or not use these keywords.

Please help and thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Re: Can we use these keyword?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Marco M

A few things to keep in mind: AdWords phone support specializes in AdWords, not necessarily Ad Grants. There have been questions posted here in the community that started with, "but phone support said it was okay" when it was a clear violation of Ad Grants policy. The reason for this is due to the fact that while many of the more seasoned phone reps are fully versed with Ad Grants policy many of the newer phone reps are not and will guide you using AdWords policies. Quite often, this does not pose an issue but occasionally it can. In this case, for instance, the issue is not rather you received any money for the services but rather or not these keywords are "mission based" to your organization or not - which is the actual requirement according to Ad Grants policy.

Which brings me to my second point; What is determined as "mission based" is largely dependent on the organization itself and the services provided by that organization. As such, keywords that may be mission based for one organization would not be mission based for another organization. So, content and intent come into play when determining if the keywords and ads are in fact mission based for that given organization. As such, if a reviewer was to review the keywords and ads, would they feel that the targeted keywords were in fact mission based to your organization? If you are confident that they would hold up to third-party scrutiny, then you are most likely fine using them. If you feel that a third-party review might question the use of those keywords and not see the relevance of those keywords to your organization's mission, then I would suggest not using them.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
I've done several Google Grant campaigns - one in a similar area as you and have not run into any problems running volunteer recruitment keywords. If you are concerned, keep them entirely in their own campaign and go back to AdWords support once the keywords, ads, and landing pages are all loaded up and paused prior to launch. You get much better feedback this way from AdWords support when they have an entire campaign in front of them - especially when dealing with Ad Grant concerns.
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Marco M

A few things to keep in mind: AdWords phone support specializes in AdWords, not necessarily Ad Grants. There have been questions posted here in the community that started with, "but phone support said it was okay" when it was a clear violation of Ad Grants policy. The reason for this is due to the fact that while many of the more seasoned phone reps are fully versed with Ad Grants policy many of the newer phone reps are not and will guide you using AdWords policies. Quite often, this does not pose an issue but occasionally it can. In this case, for instance, the issue is not rather you received any money for the services but rather or not these keywords are "mission based" to your organization or not - which is the actual requirement according to Ad Grants policy.

Which brings me to my second point; What is determined as "mission based" is largely dependent on the organization itself and the services provided by that organization. As such, keywords that may be mission based for one organization would not be mission based for another organization. So, content and intent come into play when determining if the keywords and ads are in fact mission based for that given organization. As such, if a reviewer was to review the keywords and ads, would they feel that the targeted keywords were in fact mission based to your organization? If you are confident that they would hold up to third-party scrutiny, then you are most likely fine using them. If you feel that a third-party review might question the use of those keywords and not see the relevance of those keywords to your organization's mission, then I would suggest not using them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Phillip for your answer, I like the idea of setting up the campaign and then getting Google's feedback before making it live.