AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Can anyone help our org prep to fill out the grants application?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Our non-profit organization is ready to apply for a Google Grant. We are hold valid charity status and maintain an website with substantial, easily accessed information about our activities. We do not fit into the categories that the support site lists as ineligible for Google Grants, so we're ready to get started.

Before we begin the application process, I am seeking information about what information I'll need to provide on the application form. Will we be asked extensive questions? Is it possible to preview these questions? Will I be able to begin a new application, stop to collaborate with co-workers on answers, and open the application again, or do I need to input all information in one session?

My sense is that the application is fairly short and straightforward, but I don't want to begin our application and have a limited window of time to provide thorough answers to questions I didn't anticipate. Can a member of the support team, or someone who has applied for a grant before, help me prepare to apply?

Thank you!

-Rosalyn

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Can anyone help our org prep to fill out the grants application?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Rosalyn S

Yes, the application is very short and straight forward. In fact, enrolling in Google For Nonprofits may take you less time than you realize. Just have your EIN, mission statement and contact information on hand. 

It truly is one of the shortest applications you will ever fill out and receive so much benefit from.

You can do it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Robert. That's what I had thought. Are you saying there are NO "content questions" on the application other than providing the mission statement? I mean questions about what we'll do with the grant, how our organization works, or details of our activities?

Thank you!

RS

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Applying for the Ad Grant is two part... the first is to apply for Google For Nonprofits (G4NP). This takes less than 5 minutes and anyone in your organization should be able to complete this very simple form with the basic information of your organization and after checking off a few certification questions. 

The second part is to enroll in the products of Google For Nonprofits such as Ad Grants. This is very straight forward as well but requires the set up of an AdWords account - the setting up of the account is really the toughest part of the whole process but there is a great Ad Grants Creation Guide you can use as a walk through. There will be a few questions as to how you will use the Grant but these are pretty simple as well and are really more for your benefit to truly think about how to best use the Ad Grant.

You can learn about the Full Application Process, here. Again, it is really only a few simple steps and noting to be intimidated by.

If you are still not sure about the process and would like professional help, then there is a list of qualified agencies in the Google For Nonprofits Marketplace. Simply filter by product and select: AdWords to see a list of agencies that specialize in helping nonprofits with AdWords. (*disclosure - my agency is listed in there as well.)

With that said, my recommendation is to never use an agency to do the initial G4NP application - it really is that simple and is not something you should pay someone to do for you. The set up of the Ad Grants account is a little different though and that is where experience can be really beneficial. 

Lastly, this forum is a great resource. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Robert,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I have one clarifying questions. It turns out that my organization has already applied for Google for Non Profits and been approved, so that step is over.

When we begin the next step, the Ad Grants Creation Guide makes it appear as though we need to be ready with our ads written and keywords selection. Is that right? Can we edit the ads after receiving approval for the grant, or is this the only opportunity to select ads and keywords?

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

-Rosalyn

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Rosalyn S - Yes, you will set up an initial campaign with ads and keywords to submit it for review to the Ad Grants team before your account will go live.This is primarily to make sure that the account is set up in a manner that it can be used with the program. As such, a basic campaign is all that is really required and you can certainly continue to build out the rest of the account over time.

In fact, active management of your account is a requirement to keep the grant active so it is good to add new ad groups, ads and keywords regularly.

You will also want to edit the ads in order to optimize them and improve their click through rate (CTR) over time.