AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Can I have a paid AdWords account as well?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings,

Two questions:

1. Our organization has been awarded the Google Ad Grant, but there's been some confusion over whether or not we can have an additional paid Google AdWords account. Our previous marketing director was under the impression that all paid activity had to cease in order to gain the grant and comply with the terms of the grant thereafter. Is it acceptable to have a paid account alongside our grant?

2. Our organization has many locations with different services, budgets, and payment info. Is it acceptable for each location to have their own paid account, even though it's all under one company?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Question 1:

yes you can have a paid account. You just to make sure the paid account is separate from the Google Ad Grant account. The later should not have any payment information associated to it but if you got the grant you probably got that right.

Question 2: yes you can have as many paid accounts as you want.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So what is a good approach to managing both a paid and an AdGrants account?

1) If I have the same keywords and ads in both the AdGrant and paid accounts, theoretically, won't the paid account always outrank AdGrants?

2) Does Google search results limit ad results to a particular domain? For example, can I get a paid ad on page 1, then a very similar (if not identical) Adgrant ad also on page 2 or 3?

3) In general, any advice for handling paid and AdGrant accounts would be helpful! Thank you!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've just run an interesting little experiment. I'm managing a newly-launched Ad Grants account. Relatively competitive keywords with competition courtesy of for-profit businesses. Many first page bid estimates hover around the $2 range. Initially the bid strategy was set to manual CPC, and we struggled to get a single impression. We switched it over to maximize conversions (despite no conversion history in the account) and traffic started pouring in and the actual CPC is in the $4-$5 range.

I wanted to test what would happen in a paid account using manual CPC bidding. Not only did we get a whole bunch of traffic in the first day, the average position was 1.3. It didn't make much sense to me that there were so many keywords in the Ad Grants account that we're above the first page bid estimate, but weren't getting any impressions. 

So clearly, the formula used for calculating Ad Rank is different on an Ad Grants account vs a regular account. I called into Google about this, but they weren't helpful at all. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.