AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Already have an Adwords account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

we recently found out about this awesome Google Ad Grant program and have just been approved, but I have been using a paid Adwords account until now. I need to keep the paid account because there are certain services we offer that we cannot use the Ad Grant account for (we also run childcare centres, which are actually non-profit as well but which I accept are still not allowed).

Will I be able to use the same email address for both or will I need to create a new address for my Ad Grant one?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Junior B
January 2016

Re: Already have an Adwords account

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Junior B

Yes, you can certainly maintain an active paid AdWords account in tandem with your Ad Grants account. I would just recommend that you ensure that the two are not competing against each other on keywords.

For setting up a new Ad Grant account, it is best to use a "fresh" email that is not tied to any other Google service however, you can certainly create the account under an MCC account and manage both accounts through there. Just be sure that you have an admin account also tied to that Ad Grant account. (again, a "fresh" email account often works best.)

"Does it matter that when I applied for the google ad grant that I used my existing email address?"

Was your existing email already tied to an AdWords account? If so, then you will not be able to set up another AdWords account with that email address. However, you could certainly use that email address to apply to Google For Nonprofits (G4NP) without issue. If the email address was not already tied to AdWords then there will likely not be an issue.

Once you have created your Ad Grants account, if you have campaigns you want to copy over from your existing paid AdWords account you can copy those campaigns via Google Editor and then paste them into your Ad Grant account.

If you run into any issues, feel free to reach back out here in the forum.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, I've just read something on here about an MCC account so I may try and investigate that further.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Junior!

You cannot convert a regular AdWords account that contains billing and payment information into a Google Ad Grants account. (https://support.google.com/nonprofits/answer/46035)
For this reason, simply create a new free email, such as YourNonProfitAdGrants@gmail.com and continue with the setup here: https://support.google.com/grants/answer/1689506

EDIT: I do believe you can grant access to both your paid Adwords account and your Ad Grants account to your MCC account. I would recommend reviewing this page for full details on linking MCC accounts.

Sign in to your manager account at https://adwords.google.com.
  1. Click the Accounts tab.
  2. Click the Performance sub-tab.
  3. Click + Account.
  4. Select the type of account you want to create: AdWords or AdWords Express.
  5. Give the new account a name (this is the name you and your managed accounts will see).

I also recommend reading @RobertCoats approach to meeting the login requirements for your Ad Grants account here: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Google-Ad-Grants/MCC-My-Client-Center-and-Google-Ad-Grants...

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply Brian!

Does it matter that when I applied for the google ad grant that I used my existing email address?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In my experience it will get rejected 100% of the time if your billing information is attached. @RobertCoats may have another method to copy your account, though, if you have a few campaigns created. I cannot find it off-hand, though I think I've seen it.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Junior B
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Junior B

Yes, you can certainly maintain an active paid AdWords account in tandem with your Ad Grants account. I would just recommend that you ensure that the two are not competing against each other on keywords.

For setting up a new Ad Grant account, it is best to use a "fresh" email that is not tied to any other Google service however, you can certainly create the account under an MCC account and manage both accounts through there. Just be sure that you have an admin account also tied to that Ad Grant account. (again, a "fresh" email account often works best.)

"Does it matter that when I applied for the google ad grant that I used my existing email address?"

Was your existing email already tied to an AdWords account? If so, then you will not be able to set up another AdWords account with that email address. However, you could certainly use that email address to apply to Google For Nonprofits (G4NP) without issue. If the email address was not already tied to AdWords then there will likely not be an issue.

Once you have created your Ad Grants account, if you have campaigns you want to copy over from your existing paid AdWords account you can copy those campaigns via Google Editor and then paste them into your Ad Grant account.

If you run into any issues, feel free to reach back out here in the forum.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for this information Robert. I have created a new email address and will use that to create my Ad Grants account.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Junior.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Robert, 

I used my email to sign up for a normal, paid AdWords account. This was before I knew about Google for non-profits. Then I used that same email to sign up for non-profits and was approved. Now I want to apply for AdGrants. Based on your post above, I am unable to use my email to create this new AdWords account to enroll in AdGrants. Is that correct?

I have other email addresses that are administrators of the non-profits account. Am I able to use one of those to go through this process? These emails were not used to create the non-profits account, but they were added later as admins. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Tate R

Not only are you able to use one of the accounts that you used for your Google For Nonprofits account, but it would also be a requirement to have one of those accounts as an admin on the Ad Grants account. So, yes, you can certainly use the email addresses that are administrators of the non-profits account for the Ad Grants process.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't want to proceed with the process if this wasn't going to work. I was afraid I'd mess something up.