4.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Advice for culling unproductive ad groups and keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to AdWords and to the Grant. I was (and remain) concerned that, being in an esoteric nonprofit, we would have trouble achieving the goals of the Grant.

As a result, our campaigns have an excess of Keywords and Ad Groups and I wish to optimize our results without tossing out potentially productive words and ads.

Is there an accepted way to cull Keywords and Ad Groups to increase Quality Score and effectiveness?

Should I use the "Automate" feature for Ad Groups and/or Keywords?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advice for culling unproductive ad groups and keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@americanrainwater

My main recommendation would be to focus optimizing your AdWords account towards the goals of your organization and less on those of maximizing the grant and its spend. This is because, the better you focus on the goals of your organization the more in line with those goals your grant account will be and this will help to ensure that all of your ads and keywords are mission-based, which is an important requirement of the Ad Grant program.

This will also help you to cull the keywords and ad groups and increase the effectiveness of your campaigns. As you look over these keywords you should be able to recognize which ones are relevant to your mission and which ones are not. If you have been using automated keyword research tools (or even Google's own keyword recommendations) you likely do have many keywords that are not the most relevant to your particular mission since automated keyword research tools will often pull up keywords that focus on high search volumes and impressions (certainly good things) but often have little to no relevance to the mission of the organization. 

So should you continue to use such tools? Yes, you should. Just be aware that the keywords that these tools are recommending are only suggestions – use your own best judgment as to their relevance and if they will help you to achieve the goals of your organization before adding them to your account.

Re: Advice for culling unproductive ad groups and keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good advice. I did not mean to imply that my top goal wasn't performance for my nonprofit. That IS the top goal. Still, I do want to take full advantage of the grant.

I could still use some advice how to make an orderly cull of the long lists of Keywords if it will improve the performance. They were chosen by their relevance to our mission, but many have not yet gathered clicks, or more frustratingly have been "paused" because they have "Low Search Volume," or the bid price is slightly above $2. Should I eliminate those that are very relevant, but have Low Search Volume, or those who currently require a bid greater than the $2 max? Being in an esoteric nonprofit field, I'm not surprised that some of the relevant Keywords produce "Low Search Volume," but the Keywords are still very relevant. How is a small nonprofit to grow if their "Low Search Volume" words do not trigger search results?

So, what should I do with the long list of relevant, but "Low Search Volume" Keywords and the relevant but slightly more expensive than $2 Keywords? Is there some guidance for culling the list of Keywords and Ad Groups? There is an "Automate" feature that would Pause Keywords or Enable them based on criteria. Should I be using them?