Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Adgrants + Paid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys

We are a small charity in Auckland, New Zealand. We regularly use our Adgrants account but have a need to supplement with some paid activity - specifically YouTube advertising and some Remarketing.

Just wondering how we go about this.

Do we need to set up a separate paid Adwords account?

Can this be set up under the same email address?

How do we ensure that 2 separate accounts work in a complementary fashion instead of cross purposes?

Very grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adgrants + Paid

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Westpac R

Yes, you can have a paid AdWords account in tandem with your Ad Grants account.

No, you cannot use the same email address for both. As with multiple AdWords accounts, you will have to set them up under their own Google accounts (i.e. email addresses). However, you can set them both up under an AdWords Manager account (formerly called an MCC account) and manage them both via that single manager account.

The two accounts will work independently, without issue of conflict or violation of AdWords dual ad serving policy. However, the paid account will trump the Ad Grants account if they target the same keywords - not something that I recommend. However, if you just use the paid account for display, re-marketing and YouTube advertising you will be fine.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Robert

I have a similar situation to the OP. I am managing 2 AdWords accounts for a client - one Paid and one with Ad Grants - with Ads directing to the same website. The Paid account is only financing Ads for one campaign while the Ad Grants account is financing Ads for 4 other campaigns with different keywords. Just to be clear then...

1. Is it okay to run campaigns from 2 different accounts (Paid & Ad Grants) with Ads directing to the same URL?
2. Would I be violating the dual ad serving policy if I used the same keywords across the Paid & Ad Grants accounts? What if I'm targeting different locations?
3. Does the Paid account always trump the Ad Grants account in the Ad auction? Is it not possible to apply that rule to the Ad Grants account instead?
4. If Ads from the Ad Grants account fail to win at the auction (because of their $2 limit), is there a way I can force the Paid Ads to kick-in instead?

Any clarification on those 4 points would be greatly appreciated as I do not wish to violate Google's terms of rules and consequently be penalised.

Thank you

Alastair

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Alastair

1. Is it okay to run campaigns from 2 different accounts (Paid & Ad Grants) with Ads directing to the same URL?

Yes it is - as long as one of them is an approved Google Ad Grants account.

2. Would I be violating the dual ad serving policy if I used the same keywords across the Paid & Ad Grants accounts? What if I'm targeting different locations?

No, you would not. Again, this only applies to situations with a Google Ad Grants account. Keep in mind though, only one account (the paid account) will participate in the ad auction.

3. Does the Paid account always trump the Ad Grants account in the Ad auction? Is it not possible to apply that rule to the Ad Grants account instead?

Yes, the paid account will trump the grant account in the ad auction if they are targeting the same keywords/criteria. 

4. If Ads from the Ad Grants account fail to win at the auction (because of their $2 limit), is there a way I can force the Paid Ads to kick-in instead?

Sorry, but there are no "if this, then that" settings.