AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rank in Grant account vs paid account?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When keywords in a grant account compete with the same ones in a paid account, is it true that the grand account will always have lower ad rank than the paid account because paid account has priority over grant? Or is it only due to the $2 cpc limitation?

Edit: They are from different organizations. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard L
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OK;

So, I re-post the rules (which I later removed due to the misunderstanding)

• Your ads will be entirely text-based (no videos or images).
  • They’ll appear only on Google search results pages, in positions below the ads of paying advertisers.
  • All campaigns must be keyword-targeted.
  • Your maximum cost-per-click (CPC) will be $2.00 USD.

https://www.google.com/grants/how-it-works/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Richard L

If an Ad Grant account and a paid account for the same organization are bidding on the same keyword(s) then the ad(s) from the paid account will be the ones that are served. The two accounts will not serve ads at the same time when both accounts are in the same auction.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

ohhh... I misunderstood the question. I  had the impression that those  were two accounts owned by different organizations.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They are different accounts. Our grant account is competing with paid accounts from other organizations. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard L
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

OK;

So, I re-post the rules (which I later removed due to the misunderstanding)

• Your ads will be entirely text-based (no videos or images).
  • They’ll appear only on Google search results pages, in positions below the ads of paying advertisers.
  • All campaigns must be keyword-targeted.
  • Your maximum cost-per-click (CPC) will be $2.00 USD.

https://www.google.com/grants/how-it-works/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for posting the rules, I just want someone to clarify if Paid AdWords accounts have priority over Grant accounts when ads are served. This is something I heard from various websites, not sure if they are rumors or the truth. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Well... it's quite clear from  rules 2 and 4 - isn't it?

Re: Ad rank in Grant account vs paid account?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Richard L

Do paid AdWords accounts have priority over Grant accounts when ads are served?

Technically, yes, if all things are 100% equal between the two advertisers. However, in an ad auction, where there are multiple variables being considered for ad rank, nothing is ever 100% equal. As such, in some instances, an ad from an Ad Grants account could be served over ads from a paid account if the system determined that the Ad Grants ad had a higher ad rank and it provided a better user experience to the users search query.

So, as is the case with so many AdWords questions, the answer is: "Yes... but not always... it depends."

With all of that said, Google's Official response is exactly what @MosheTLV posted: