Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Grants policies updated

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Dear Ad Grants grantees and partners,

Today we sent an email to Ad Grantees to reflect updated Ad Grants’ program policies.  We’ve grown to proudly serve over 35,000 nonprofits and recently reviewed our policies to add clarity and raise standards of quality for our free advertising grants.  

First, we are excited to share that effective immediately, we are lifting the program’s $2.00 USD bid cap when using Maximize conversions bidding as it automatically sets bids based on performance.

Next, we’ve updated our policies:

These updates are effective January 1, 2018 for all Ad Grantees. The updates are program-wide and replace legacy GrantsPro policies. Please note that we will primarily use in-product notifications to communicate personalized suggestions as well as warnings about non-compliance with policies so look there in your accounts for messages from us.  

We want our grantees to all be in compliance, but if you fall out at some point, we’ll try to give more warnings and also help you get back into compliance.  We hope these policies also act as a guide to help you optimize your account (ie looking for keywords with low quality score or building out your keyword lists to more targeted terms).   

We’re also committed to helping you use your ad grant successfully.  Look out for upcoming webinars, video snippets, local events, our outreach here in our online community, and tailored help content and suggestions in in-product notifications to support you more.  

Sincerely,

Michelle on behalf of the Google Ad Grants team

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

Sounds great!

For the Maximize conversions bidding to apply to our campaigns do we need to do anything

e.g. they are currently set to Manual CPC $2.00 maximum bid? Do we need to change it to "Bidding: Maximise conversions"?

Thanks,
Teresa

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried changing mine to anything over $2 and it rejected it

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Jon D, When you enable Maximize Conversions, the system can automatically bid over $2.  You don't need to change anything except the auto-bidding in your campaign setting.  Hope that helps.

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Teresa,

Yes, for each campaign, go into your settings tab.  There you'll see an option for Bidding.  Select Maximise conversions and the system will automatically bid over where they keyword's performance merits it to maximize the number of conversions it can predict for you!

Best,

Michelle on behalf of Ad Grants team

Re: Ad Grants policies updated

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed that in the new policies, that our websites cannot have adsense ads. I dont know about others, but the ads help pay for our hosting services. I was a bit concerned about appearing to "double-dip", but when I checked our data, less than .01% of the clicks on the adsense ads were from visitors who saw our adwords ad. (Double dipping is using adwords to help generate adsense clicks.) 

So, I would ask that you allow the small guy (501c3s) to keep their ability to run adsense and related affiliate links on our websites. I indeed do think that your rule regarding the ad content is valid. For example, we only allow ads related to our organization's mission appear on our site. and we only allow affiliate links of the products that our organization provides. However, I do not think it is fair to simply tell us not to have any adsense or affiliate links on our websites.  If you are concerned about double-dipping, then I am sure your programmers can add a logarithm that can detect when an adwords ad triggered a click on an adsense ad. 

-just my humble opinion 

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Hi OmiM,

I truly do hear you.  Nothing about that policy has changed actually in this update though.  You're free to host other relevant ads on your website; just not AdSense.  That's only because AdSense is a Google owned product and revenue shares with AdSense advertisers so in our social impact program it would be an added cost when we'd rather give directly. 

But over time, if this is a need we learn about in our annual survey, we can keep it on our wishlist to make a case for expanding in this direction.  

I'll jot it down to note though as we don't want to restrict funding for grantees!  In fact, we really want to help you find donors!

Best regards,

Michelle on behalf of the Ad Grants team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would second Omi M's request to allow AdSense, though I do acknowledge that that particular restriction has been in place for a while. I'll make a note to mention that again when I receive the survey.

These new rules will be more work for me, but I'm absolutely thrilled about being allowed to use Maximize CPC to go above the $2 limitation. Thank you to the Google team for allowing that.

I know you may not reply because this next query is a little off-topic, but I've tried 3 other forms of communication with Google and did not receive a written answer. Normally, I'd let it go, but I have clients asking me this and I feel I owe it to them to work diligently to get an answer. How does a nonprofit apply to receive additional funds and assistance much like Goodwill Industries and Pratham Books? The website (https://www.google.org/) has a lot of good examples of what Google has done for these nonprofits and others, but no information on how to apply as a nonprofit. There is also no contact information. Does Google just pick nonprofits from a pool of those enrolled in Google for Nonprofits? Is there anything I can possibly do to better my clients' chance of being selected?

Once again, I apologize for being off-topic, but I had to take a chance here on a thread that I expect will be frequently checked by Google employees in the upcoming days.

Respectfully,

Michael

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Michael R,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.

Monetary grants through Google.org are not open to applications because they would receive too many applications to process and do the good work they wish to alongside their grantees.  Instead their team does due diligence to identify innovative nonprofits globally.  So, in sum, there isn't any way to market to them.  

Hope that helps,

Michelle

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michelle, 

I wanted to check regarding one of the policies in the Mission-based campaigns policy - we cannot use single-word keywords anymore? But what if the word is tightly connected to the activities and goals of the nonprofit and its included in the website/LP?

Thanks,

Antoaneta