Learn about the Google Ad Grants advertising program for nonprofits
Guide Me
star_border

Acceptable Landing Page or Sitelink Landing page for Google Grants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, thanks for reading.

I have a question regarding Adwords and specifically the Google Grant scheme for charities. We have been using it for a while and have had good results.

During a chat session I had to Google, I told them an ad by our charity (Allergy UK) was appearing for the search term "Allergy UK" with a sitelink to one of our product pages. This, we thought, was against the terms and conditions of the grant (no commercial activity) so it is not something we would have done. As it stands it was Google adding a dynamic sitelink themselves (which we have now opted out of as it had no connection to the ad itself). However talking to them further, there were some scenarios that they said were "acceptable".

I would like to run it through people here for their opinions before going ahead. The grant is really important to us and we don't want to lose it.

So, for example.....would this ad be acceptable:

Hay Fever Advice
Guidance from national charity.
Survive the Hay Fever seasons
www.allergyuk.org/HayFever

And then with a sitelink to this page http://www.allergyuk.org/working-in-partnership-corporate-partners-e-l/haymax as a company we endorse that make Hay Fever products?

Could we go one step further and create a ad that links direct to this corporate partner page? Is this too commercial?

We didn't do these tactics as (even though you can't buy the product on this page), there are links offsite where you then go off and buy the product. As I said, originally we thought no commercial activity allowed.

Does anyone know of the where's and why fors for this or work in the charity sector with experience of using Google Ads and the Grant?

Many thanks,

Darren

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Acceptable Landing Page or Sitelink Landing page for Google Grants

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Darren,
I'll ask the AdGrants team about this query and post the answer back here.

Kathleen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Kathleen

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Darren,

Your first ad would be acceptable IF it went to an active landing page with content that contained information about hay fever. 

Your sitelink (or a second ad with that landing page) would not be acceptable since the Ad Grant is intended to promote your mission and services and not a third-party corporation or their products.

Now, with that said, if your organization had a store on your website where you sold the HayMax product AND your organization kept 100% of the proceeds from those sales, then you could run commercial type ads since the sales and proceeds would directly support the nonprofit and those ads would THEN be deemed as mission-based ads.

Additional details specif to UK (along with examples of mission-based ads) can also be found on the Google Ad Grants Programme Details page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks Robert,

We were told by Chat support that the sitelink or second ad would be fine as it was family orientated viewing and not going against the terms and conditions of the Grant. I was certain that this wasn't correct so I wanted to make sure here.

The mission-based ads sounds very interesting and this may well be a route we decide to go down.

Many thanks again everyone.

Darren

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

One further question on this topic.........

If Google is using dynamic sitelinks that are automatically connected to ads WITHOUT the knowledge of the user, surely they are at risk of going against the terms and conditions?

The reason for the original question was that a sitelink to one of our product pages had somehow appeared next to an ad that had no such sitelink...........and the sitelink itself was, in our view at the time, against the T&C's.

I opted out as soon as this was explained for this reason. But do other non-profits that use the Grant run the risk of this happening without knowing?

For instance, although we have opted out, that sitelink is still appearing for our ad when you search for "allergy uk" and there is no way for us to remove it as it is an automatic thing by Google (which you can tell by the destination hyperlink when you hover over the sitelink).

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Darren,
The Google Grants team have said that this specific example with this sitelink is fine.

The messaging you intent to use here is not Commercial Advertising so is fine.

If you have further specific questions, I'd recommend contacting the AdWords team who can help: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok thank you Kathleen.

All a bit confusing now which route to take!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Can you please confirm whether it is Kathleen or Robert that is correct in this instance? If I am reading correctly, then the Grants team have accepted the above ad example?

Also, could my question be answered about the dynamic search sitelinks and how that may go against the terms of conditions of the grant, when the charity involved doesn't even know.

Many thanks.