Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

5% CTR requirement in Ad Grants program

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

You'll notice that in updated policies sent today, we have an updated requirement to reach a 5% CTR.  We are making changes to ensure a good user and nonprofit experience with our platform.  5% is actually lower than the program average today, because Ad Grants ads show on many non-competitive search queries.  We believe that alongside other policy changes updated today, we will see CTR rise significantly.  We hope these changes will drive your nonprofit to target and reach most relevant users and generate most conversions.

We’ll also reinstate your account if you pause low-CTR keywords that would get your account level CTR back at 5% CTR.  We’re happy to offer some advice on how to optimize your account.

Alternatively, you may choose to pause your AdWords campaigns and use AdWords Express, which automatically manages your ad's search phrases (instead of keywords) based on your business product or service categories. AdWords Express accounts aren’t subject to the 5% requirement because it is automatically managed.

Best regards,

Michelle on behalf of the Google Ad Grants team

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.
2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your help answering all these questions (you have quite a job right now...).  As a small nonprofit, I do this as a side part of my job. We are currently just under the 5% cut off. You mentioned advice in the post above, what forms would that be in and how would we access them?

Thank you for your help!

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Happy to help with ideas here but specific advice could be offered through our open AdWords support channels, even if through an email asking "what would you suggest I do to raise my account's CTR?"

One simplistic option is pruning a few high-impression but low-CTR keywords.  

Thank you for doing the work you do!

Michelle from Ad Grants

In addition to engaging with us through our online community forum, this short video offers a policy overview. Members of the Ad Grants team offer educational live streams (past videos), hands-on local workshops, office hours, and personalized account tips. To receive inv...Customized Performance & Suggestions and Special Offers emails. We've also opened up new communities in French, German, Portuguese and Spanish. If you’d like volunteer help with your account, read about our recently launched Online Challenge Program through partner universities.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Michelle,

I would like to ask if this condition is applicable to all ad groups in the campaigns or it is just for an average for all campaigns. 

I mean if I have 4 ad groups with CTR 8% and 1 ad group with CTR 1%, my average CTR for the account is 6,6%

Should I pause or edit that specific ad group with 1% CTR?

Thank you for your reply.

Jan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Often Google makes suggestions for keywords to add to our accounts. These frequently include single-word keywords and in general all suggestions perform very poorly for us - usually <2% CTR. So should we just ignore/quickly remove Google's own suggestions that break these Ad Grants conditions?

# 6
Ad Grants Featured Contributor

@Lesley - I never use any of the keyword suggestions. Have seen an account where the owner followed every single suggestion and it was disastrously chaotic. In the end it always comes down to your own better judgement.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi Jan, 

The aim for 5% is for the overall account.  If yours isn't quite making it, I'd suggest looking for high-impression, low CTR keywords and try to build them out further to keep the best parts of that term and pause the part that isn't getting user interest - check search terms in the keyword tab to do this. 

Hope that helps, 

Michelle

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi Lesley, 

We're working with our engineers to fine tune these suggestions.  Right now they can be broad and so judgement is needed.  They are intended to try out for those optimizing their account but there's a disconnect because in our space of Ad Grants, nonprofits are less resourced to optimize as often as they'd like.  So I'd suggest not using them in a fully accepting way from the start - use your discretion of what will perform well for your organization or if you're a partner to the organization, refine your keyword list often.

Best,

Michelle

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Michelle,

Again, I do think this 5% CTR is going to hurt nonprofits severely. I think it is quite negative that AdWords Express doesn't fall under the same requirement. There are people working hard to make an impact in the nonprofit sector who have loved and relied on Google for a long time. This will hurt your reputation, especially the way this was rolled out.

However, because you have given us no other option, my question is about this 5% CTR. For account wide metric, is ad position taken into consideration? Although we can now bid more competitively if using conversion tracking, often times are ads will not show in the top 3 - 5 positions and so the CTR is obviously lower.

How does this impact the deactivation of our account? Is it just 5% CTR across all enabled campaigns or does it take position into play? For example, a nonprofit I was reviewing has a 4.78% CTR with multiple campaigns/keywords averaging 25%+ and getting good positions while some other (but equally important) campaigns/keywords have 3% while averaging a 3.5 position. 

How does the effect getting our accounts shut down? Is there any leeway? How do you help us with optimizing the account to make sure we can continue making an impact in the communities we work with? Is it two months starting on the 1st of every month before the account is deactivated?

A lot of this is very blurry and from talking to several nonprofits already almost all of them are unaware of this change that impacts them dramatically.

Please let me know.

Thanks Michelle.

Community Manager
# 10
Community Manager

Hi Tyler, 

I responded to your concern on the other thread and hope that helps explain.

For specific questions:

- 5% is account wide for enabled campaigns

- We will have a tolerance level if you just miss it

- We will reactivate you right away if you are deactivated but then pause a few lower performing words that get it into compliance to see if that gets us in better shape for the next month

- We'll first send a notification noting accounts who missed the requirement in early February about January.  Hopefully that simulates optimization.  If the same account misses again in February, then we'll deactivate until action is taken (after which we'll happily reinstate).

Thanks,

Michelle