AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Subscribe to this board to stay in the know when we post new 'Go-To Guides'
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

S2: Mark a business as closed

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 2.57.15 PM.png

It’s important to keep customers up to date with any changes to your business, including any temporary or permanent closures. This article will show you how to get the job done.

Note: If you’re hoping to mark your business as moved, you’ll want to follow the steps in our article about how to update your address after a move.

To mark your business page as temporarily closed…

If you're only going to be closed for a few days, you can set special hours so your customers know. Learn more about setting special hours here: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6303076

If you're going to be closed for 2 weeks or longer, we can mark your business page as 'temporarily closed'. To do this, you’ll need to connect with our support teams but make sure to include the website, which should state the closure dates.

Note: You will see the business page displaying as ‘Closed’ or ‘Permanently Closed’ in your dashboard. This is normal and to be expected, do not mark the page as ‘Open’ in your dashboard or this will remove the temporarily closed messaging that your customers see. Also, users who search for your business on Google will see the ‘temporarily closed’ messaging, whereas users who search on Maps will see it displayed as ‘permanently closed’.

To mark a page as permanently closed...

If you own the page, click ‘Close or remove this listing’, and then ‘Mark as permanently closed’. The location will appear as permanently closed in your account and to users across Google. Follow the steps below to mark the page as closed:

1. Navigate to your dashboard and choose the listing you want to remove.
  2. Go to the ‘Info’ tab in the left hand navigation
  3. Click on ‘Close or remove this listing’
  4. Choose ‘Mark as permanently closed’

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 5.48.18 PM.png

5. Click ‘OK’ to apply the change

If you’re using the app...

If you’re using the Google My Business mobile app, scroll to the bottom of the ‘Edit business info’ screen for the location you want to mark permanently closed. Then tap the pencil icon next to ‘Mark as permanently closed’. You’ll be taken to another screen where you would mark ‘Yes’ and click ‘Save’.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.28.58 PM.png        Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.29.16 PM.png

What if you don’t own the business but know it’s closed?

You can make a request directly on Google Maps by clicking “Suggest an edit” then marking it as ‘permanently closed’ by toggling to ‘Yes’. Save the request by selecting ‘Submit’.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.30.35 PM.png

What to do if your business is incorrectly marked as closed...

Don’t worry! You can easily reopen the listing through your dashboard or the app. Simply go back to the listing, through the ‘Info’ tab in the left side navigation bar, and click on ‘reopen listing’.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.32.22 PM.png 

In the app, just open the listing and click the ‘x’ next to the permanently closed messaging. You’ll be taken to another screen where you would mark ‘No’ and click ‘Save’.

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.33.37 PM.png             Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 6.33.25 PM.png 

More info

Keep your eye on the Google My Business Community for our regularly updated, bite-size guides for business owners. You can also join the conversation on our social channels by sending us a message on Twitter or Facebook.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Marissa Nordahl, Community Manager, Google My Business
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Follow us on GMB on Social: Facebook | Twitter
1 Expert replyverified_user