The Export on Air webinar series provides insights on a variety of markets to inform your international expansion strategy. This month, we went all the way Down Under:
- With 85% internet penetration1, Australia is a highly connected country whose population has a high purchasing power2 and who is ready to purchase online2.
- Optimizing for a good mobile experience is essential in all industries including Travel and Ecommerce, due to a high smartphone penetration of 77%1.
- Only 1 in 4 Australians3 go abroad more than once a year. Top outbound destinations4 for Australians are the United States, Indonesia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Thailand.
- Australians tend to travel domestically during long weekends4, driven by how isolated Australia is to other countries and a weakened local currency.
- Travel products (flights, accommodation, car rental) are often booked for the same trip but not necessarily together5.
- Ecommerce is driving retail growth in Australia6.
- Australians mainly buy items from companies from the United States, China, and the United Kingdom, but would also consider purchasing from sellers located in Canada, Germany and Japan7.
- Top products purchased from foreign retailers include toys and fashion items from overseas7.
Watch Export on Air: Australia Market Overview to find out more, including Travel and Ecommerce market insights, consumer insights, as well as go-to market best practices.
1 The World Bank, 2015
2 Consumer Barometer, 2016
3 KPGM, 2016, eMarketer, 2016 GFK & Google International Flights P2P Study, 2017
4 Google internal data, 2016
5 Google Consumer Survey, 2017
6 National Australia Bank, 2017
7 eMarketer, 2017