Partners
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Check here for refresher Hangout on Air videos, study guides and certification questions.
Guide Me
star_border

Very disapointed with yesterdays - Google partners - on air session - Quality was poor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

“TrueView for Beginners” Academy on Air  https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=WOmJBO9gqQo&u=/watch%3Fv%3DSwGje_xxyfc%26feature%3Dem-lss

In a general moan - The audio quality was poor., but if this had been the only issue I would have been ok with event since its just a slight annoyance, but I would have expected best practices from Google for media presented if its a teaching video about this subject

However outside of this I was most disapointed and also found a lot of confusions in the information presented. And as an example - At  3:55 the presenter says that

"Tueview has two formats Trueview instream and Discovery.

Trueview Discovery is on Youtube Search"

As I understand it Trueview has three formats (Bumper Ads - being the third).

As I also understand it Trueview Discovery is...

• On YouTube search results
  • Alongside related YouTube videos
  • On the YouTube homepage

i.e Trueview is not just = Search - Discovery is also on related and the home pages - This is a big part of the Discovery definition - Otherwise new people coming to this video and trying to learn from this video will think that search is Discovery and Discovery is just search.

Can someone help me here - have I got this right - Are my statements above correct?

If I have got this right - Why is it that this and many other articles and videos from Google continue to be what I feel is low in quality and generally at times very misleading.

In the early days I initially spent months and months trying to pull together understand Youtube formats (when just instream and indisplay existed) - I really struggled through that time to find a clear understanding what indisplay really meant operationally - Google didn't help at all - There was conflicting signals - This seems to persist.

I am not sure who else feels this way?

However back to the video presentation....

After watching this video I wanted to contact the presenter or anyone who were connected with making this event happen - simply to query the above (and some other issues which also seem contradictory to Trueview support pages - However all my event emails were noreply and the Youtube Video doesn't allow comments - The only link connecting to Google was this forum - I know this is probably the wrong forum, but with lack of choice - So here I am 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy W
February 2017

Re: Very disapointed with yesterdays - Google partners - on air session - Quality was poor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

for (1) and especially (2) thank you again for the great feedback.

for (3) if someone from google responds, that is generally the highest level
of direct employee interaction in the community-forum and best indication

that the feedback will be relayed to the appropriate people inside google.

as to quantification, forum-members do not have direct access to any
internal measurements, business processes, discussions, or decisions
by google; there are simply external outlets such as google-employees
posting here in the forum, official blogs, or future empirical observations

of related improvements by google.

as to a solution, the original-poster, a google-employee, or a top-contributor
may select an answer as a solution; mainly to help others locate a solution,
or avoid confusion by others repeating the same similar discussion in multiple

forum-threads, but can usually be overridden/unmarked by the original-poster.

a post receiving multiple likes or a like from a google-employee
is an indicator that the answer should at least be reconsidered.

considering or marking an answer as a solution is
not a requirement for participation in the forums --
any such solicitation by others is a violation of the
community-guidelines and grounds for removing such
posts or a suspension from the community, by google.

View solution in original post

Very disapointed with yesterdays - Google partners - on air session - Quality was poor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

generally, trueview is simply an umbrella term, applying to
opt-in-ads that are tied in various ways to a video container.

the partner-video is likely referring to the term
youtube-search (network) that is explicitly used
within the user-interface (ui) -- when configuring
the campaign's network delivery details.

trueview-discovery is mainly a thumbnail summary overlay ad that
may be clicked-on by users -- the ad may appear in various forms
nearby various video containers, including youtube (search-results,
watch-pages, home-page), on similar pages within the youtube-app,
or video-partners on the google-display-network.

the ui differentiates among (a) youtube-search, (b) youtube-video,
and (c) youtube-video with video-partners-on-the-display-network.

the partner-video is most likely referring to the ui's nomenclature
when configuring the video campaign's network-delivery details --

(a) "youtube-search" equates to *only* discovery-ads --
trigged by *searches* within youtube or youtube-app.

(b) "youtube-video" equates to ads on the youtube homepage,
watch, and channel pages -- in-stream, discovery, or bumper,
ads may be used.

(c) "video-partners" equates to ads showing on other sites and apps

within  google's display-network -- in-stream, discovery, or bumper,
ads may be used.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Celebird,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The presenter says: Trueview Discovery is on Youtube Search" - then goes on to further says "Instream is on Youtube Videos"

I agree that it is possible that the presenter might have meant that Search can be included in Discovery (and omitted to identify it could exist also alongside related Youtube videos and on the youtube home page) - However to then say "in-stream is on Youtube Videos" - Again he is not saying - In-stream COULD BE on Youtube Videos - And yet again he is defining an ad format as one of the network types

Most people from these statements would believe that Discovery is the same as (not one of the options of) Youtube Search and similarly would believe that Instream is the same as (not one of the options of) Youtube Videos.

If we were tempted to think the narrator was saying one thing, but actually meaning something else on both these inaccurate statements we can see what he did actually mean in the associated header text (slide 12). He again is clearly saying (in the text headline) that the an ad format Discovery is the SAME AS a delivery network search. http://services.google.com/fh/files/misc/feb21academyonairtrueviewforbeginners.pdf -

Text Header says:

"Trueview has two formats: Discovery (search) and In-Stream (Pre-Roll)"

For the header text part that states "In-Stream (Pre-Roll)"

- This is now different to what was said in the narration that "Instream is on Youtube Videos"). However this new statement (In-stream = PreRoll)  is accurate.

Ignoring that Trueview has three formats - The narration and the text header both are constant and both say the same thing that.Discovery is the same as search .

I believe this is wrong.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

discovery is the same as "youtube-search" --

with respect to the user-interface (check-box),

when configuring the campaign.

if youtube-search is checked -- this indicates to google,

only discovery-ads, triggered only by youtube-searches.

the statements are isolated to, and in the context of,

how the user-interface conveys network-targeting --

for the ad-format when setting up the campaign.

the campaign-settings and video probably should have used the term

discovery-ads triggered by youtube-searches to label that check-box --

rather than youtube-search; but the video is simply in alignment with

how those campaign-settings are currently labeled.

Re: Very disapointed with yesterdays - Google partners - on air session - Quality was poor

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Celebird,

Once again - I am pleased that you took the time and responded back. I also really liked your response it was clear and straight forward.

Your comment "the campaign-settings and video probably should have used the term discovery-ads triggered by youtube-searches to label that check-box" - Yup - I completely agree with your statement.

And this is the pivotal issue - If the search box had been ticked - And if a selection of Discovery ad format was the (only) selection format - The presenter might have some reason to mark the slide as you suggest  - But he has neither ticked the search box nor defined a selection of only the Discovery format (On previous slide and the video - time 2:59)

This could be entirely fixed if you would personally re-present the video slides with new narration and add your correction - Then I wouldn't be raising this issue. 

However this unfortunately is probably not going to happen - And we are still left with the current presenter who uses the text he did in the slide headers and does say "Trueview Discovery is on Youtube Search"  - He is clearly (in my mind) telling the audience that Discovery is the same as search.

I am not raising this as an issue to be picky - But rather to help the process of information learning.

There is a lot of confusion with advertisers when trying to understand the options and meanings between formats and networks. I have seen a lot of highly regarded consultants not being able to clearly articulate the meaning of formats and networks and how they impact campaigns. When I hear presentations like this one I find myself also having self doubts about what True-view is all about and it is damaging.

Google has a responsibility to present effectively. And I feel that this presentation was poor and misleading.

I am however pleased to have lost some of my own self doubt through your comments.

I  would have been pleased to have given this direct to the presenter rather than this forum If Google had provided this as an option (after the presentation). 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome again.

that comment is taken a bit out of context; that is, any

such "fix" to the video would not match current reality.

as an aside, there are only two trueview-video ad-format
options -- bumper is not technically considered trueview.

that said, such feedback may be submitted directly to google --
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/aw_complaint

see also

https://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleEngage/discussion

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Celebird - Once again thanks for your input.

I have no idea what: 

"that comment is taken a bit out of context; that is, any

such "fix" to the video would not match current reality."

Can you please explain in detail what you mean by this phrase and what exactly you are referring with this comment.

Thank you for the links - However the support link to adwords  complaints is inappropriate as the link page itself defines what need is appropriate to use this site

"- It is appropriate to

Complaint Category *

Could you explain why you think this link is appropriate to the questions, as presentations are not even slightly connected to what this site has been set up to provide as a service?

The partner link is a little more relevant, but it is not a link that directly connects the presentation to the presenter - It is a very wide ranging general forum for all things partners related - And is much less related than this forum to the issues so far raised.

As far as I can see the event presentation that has actually recommends viewers to connect to this forum (as the most relevant place) while is still a poor recommendation is still more relevant than the links you have provided.

Your comment.....
"as an aside, there are only two trueview-video ad-format
options -- bumper is not technically considered trueview"

I agree with your statement, but google actually describes bumper ads: "Bumper ads are a short video ad format" If its not an ad format - why is Google referring to its a such? Its moving away from my original post, but this is again a poor, inconsistent communication from Google.

The issue for me was this - This was a poor presentation, it was entirely misleading with lack of clarity and when a viewer would like to ask Google a question around this Google disconnect from accountability. 

Saying the things the presenter did say and the guidance they gave was simply wrong.

Defending this position makes Google look even worse.

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager

Hi @Jeremy W,

Thank you for your feedback on the video. We have passed it along to the team who coordinated the broadcast and they will be sure to take this feedback on board for future videos.

@Celebird, thank you for your replies. @Jeremy W if you have any other questions that haven't been addressed, please let us know.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

first, thank you for the forthright feedback.

(1) the "fix" phrase referred to:
"the campaign-settings and video probably should have used the term
discovery-ads triggered by youtube-searches to label that check-box ...
with new narration and add your correction"

meaning -- google's check-box-labels within the campaign-settings
would need to change for that correction to be in any way viable.

(2) bumper and trueview are both classified as video-ads --
only in-stream and discovery are classified as trueview --
bumper-ads are deemed by google to work best when combined with trueview.

(3) if the form and channel-discussion seem inappropriate venues
for feedback, then as was indicated, google does read the forum.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Excellent Krisha - that is very good news.

Just so I can understand just how seriously this feedback will be taken - Can you walk me through the processes:

1. How will the team feed back a response to the issues raised?

2. How and what can we measure to know that change will/has taken place?

3. Does Google provide a QOS policy for communications?