Partners
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Check here for refresher Hangout on Air videos, study guides and certification questions.
Guide Me
star_border

New in digital marketing - certifications

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I want to start a career as a digital marketer in the UK. I have an irrelevant background (economics degree and customer service working experience) and no working experience. I am thinking of volunteering in a company (hopefully) since I was unsuccessful in finding a paid job in this field even in jobs that required no experience. I am thinking that if I get certified I'll have a better chance of finding a position to volunteer. 1) Do you think getting certified helps in this case? I passed the fundamentals exam and I started studying for the Search Advertising exam. By the way, I am a bit confused regarding the studying materials as I'm directed to either this page: https://support.google.com/partners/topic/2792638  or this one: https://support.google.com/partners/answer/6322164?hl=en&ref_topic=6322135&visit_id=1-63611978355552...2) Which one should I study? 3) If I chose another category (eg mobile) for my certification would I be more competitive?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Marina N,

While it looks like both of those links contain relevant information, I would start from here (From the links in the partners portal):  https://support.google.com/partners/topic/3204437

Having a certification is definitely going to help you in trying to break into a marketing/ppc role.  Now, why stop at Search (and yes, this is the next logical step after fundamentals) keep going and try to get as many of the additional certs as possible - just about every campaign these days has a mobile aspect to it. I could go on and on, each of the additional certs definitely hold value.  

Also, the point isn't just about getting a certification, you're building a foundation of highly relevant information that will be super helpful when you do actually land a position.  The other part of this is that you should do whatever you can to get some actual hands on account management experience. It's great to have some book knowledge but until you can put that knowledge to use, it's just knowledge.  

We wouldn't expect a mechanic, fresh out of a certification class to automatically be able to diagnose and fix any car, right?  Understanding the application of the information, the tactics, the strategies etc...this is equally important and can really help you stand out. As you work through this learning process, keep thinking about the WHY?, not just this is what we do, just because. 

You may want to consider an internship as well.  Maybe that's what you mean by volunteering but that is one route that can get you in the door and get you some very valuable hands on experience.  It doesn't even have to be a PPC internship, anything marketing will be a great start and can get you moving toward a more focused role down the road.

Having spent a ton of time on this community (and other forms of it) over the last 5+ years, I can confirm that there are many lessons that can be learned here as well and don't be afraid to ask questions as you go - just don't post exam questions Smiley Happy 

Also, please don't discount a background in economics.  You'll certainly be able to put that to very good use.  

Good luck in your journey, keep us posted on how things progress for you.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your response was very insightful to me.