Partners
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Check here for refresher Hangout on Air videos, study guides and certification questions.
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Certification Questions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, I'm planning on taking the Adwords certification, but I have a few questions. I tried calling support, but they advised me to ask here.

1. This link says I need to sign up with Google Partners first and I have a question about which email to use when signing up. Says I have to use a regularly used email address and also says it
needs access to an Adwords manager account. Since I don't currently have an Adwords Manager account, I tried to create one, but I'm getting an error that says my email address is associated
with an Adwords account. Should I just use another gmail account that's not associated with Adwords to create an Adwords manager account and then use that same new email address to sign up with Google Partners?

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/3198387?hl=en&ref_topic=3125860

2. Google offers a pdf study guide and an online one and I noticed that the online and pdf versions of the Search Advertising exams are different. Why is that? Which one should I use? The
online one seems to have more info.

https://support.google.com/partners/topic/3204437?hl=en&ref_topic=3111012

3. The instructions say that I need to pass the Fundamentals and one other exam in order to be certified. Do I need to take these two exams on the same day or can I spread out the 2 tests over 2 weeks?

4. I read that in order to be a Google Partner, you have to manage a certain amount of ad spend. If I haven't managed that amount yet, could I still be considered certified? I guess my basic question is, can someone be certified without being a partner?

https://support.google.com/partners/answer/3126965?hl=en

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Debra S
August 2016

Re: Adwords Certification Questions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Debra S,

You are very welcome. 

With the email issue... I would create xyz@gmail.com then I would log out of it. Then I would login to abc@gmail.com and go to AdWords. I would see what AdWords account I have associated with it and I would go into the settings and add  xyz@gmail.com as the Admin... verify and complete that step, then I would remove abc@gmail.com from it. 

Now I have my main email cleared from being associated with anything AdWords... and I can use abc@gmail.com for my exams/certifications, Partners and Manager Account. 

Last, once I have my Manager Account, I can add that older AdWords account to it... which is what you will be doing in the future when adding client accounts. 

Please note that I edited my first reply to provide a little more help to you in studying for the exam. Robot Happy

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Debra S,

Congratulations on seeking to become certified in AdWords. It is a fun and exciting career to be in. 

1)  I think you would be better served to create a new email address and move the older AdWords account associated with your main email to the new... then you can move that AdWords account to your manager account whenever. You will want your main email address associated with your certification, AdWords Manager Account, and your Partner profile.

2) I would use the online version.

3) Each exam/certification is good for 12 months and you can take them at anytime, or at the same time... it's your call. Some people take the Fundamentals now, then wait a few weeks and take the next one... and on and on they go. If you miss the first attempt, you will have to wait 7 days to retake, so keep that in your mind with any timing. TIP: Dig around in Adwords and do not rely solely on training materials. Get use to the AdWords dashboard. 

4) Yes, you can build up to the spend amount. Some people set goals to meet it and work at it for 6 months or more. It is all up to you and actually has nothing to do with being certified... only to do with becoming a badged Google Partner. Certified is required to be badged but being badged is not required to be certifed. 

Note: I moved your thread here to the Get Certified / Google Partners board. This area has a ton of info you want to dig around in.

Please let us know if you have further questions. We are here to provide assistance, if you need it!

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi James, thanks for responding!
Just so I"m clear about the solution to my first question. Let's say my email address is abc@gmail.com and since it's already associated with an adwords account, I can't use it to create a manager account. So now I create an xyz@gmail.com and create an adwords manager account with it and then use the xyz@gmail.com to sign up with google partners. I could then later have my old abc@gmail.com associated with my adwords manager account. Is that what you mean?

The responses to my other questions are clear.
thanks for your help!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Debra S
August 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Debra S,

You are very welcome. 

With the email issue... I would create xyz@gmail.com then I would log out of it. Then I would login to abc@gmail.com and go to AdWords. I would see what AdWords account I have associated with it and I would go into the settings and add  xyz@gmail.com as the Admin... verify and complete that step, then I would remove abc@gmail.com from it. 

Now I have my main email cleared from being associated with anything AdWords... and I can use abc@gmail.com for my exams/certifications, Partners and Manager Account. 

Last, once I have my Manager Account, I can add that older AdWords account to it... which is what you will be doing in the future when adding client accounts. 

Please note that I edited my first reply to provide a little more help to you in studying for the exam. Robot Happy

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Now I"m really confused. Sorry that it's not sinking in. Okay, so I'm not sure how to do the following:

"I would see what AdWords account I have associated with it and I would go into the settings and add xyz@gmail.com as the Admin... verify and complete that step, then I would remove abc@gmail.com from it."

Do I sign in to Google Adwords with my abc@gmail.com and then go to my settings / account access and then click the red "+ Users" button to add my new xyz@gmail.com and give it administrative access? How do I then, remove my abc@gmail.com from my adwords account?
I appreciate your help and patience.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Debra S,

You are very welcome and actually have it figured out, almost. You are doing better than most, so keep on learning and excelling! 

Please take a look at this Google Help File that will provide a step by step.

Basically, you will first go to Adwords with ABC... and add XYZ with full rights (admin)... then you will need to go to your XYZ email and accept the email to, which will validate it... then go to AdWords with XYZ (as admin) and terminate ABC.

At this point, your mail address is free for use and once you setup the Manager Account, you can add the AdWords XYZ in the same process as you would with it being a client's account. This Google Help File covers Manager Account (old name MCC or My Client Center). 

Please let us know if you need further help with anything at all.

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It all makes sense now. Thanks so much for your help, James, and have a great week!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You are very welcome!

From all of us at Google Partners... we wish you the very best and look forward to having you in the GP family. Please let us know if we can help further.

Kind Regards,

James