6.1K members online now
Not sure where to post? Let's talk small business! Be sure to visit each week for the latest Office Hours discussion.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

What advantages are there to a business listing if we are an internet company?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your opinions would help us greatly. Thank you.

We have applied for a Google business listing, however, we're an internet company. Therefore we do not sell anything at our business address. Why would we have a business listing? What advantages are there to having our business address on Google?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Do customers visit your location?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Yannups,

By having a listing, when new customers search for a product/service that you offer, they will be served up your name, website and phone number. This is also true for those working with you, like banks, finance companies, vendors, parts suppliers, etc... which only gives you more credibility and authenticity to them all.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, there is no need for customers to visit our registered office address. That's the point. It's fantastic for shops and restaurants but for offices I'm not sure of the benefits. Thanks, really appreciate your input. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If you don't want customers visiting your office then you should set up a service area, so your address isn't displayed. The benefit were touched on and explained by James. Basically if you have a business you want as many potential people to know about you as possible when they may be in need of your services. With Google being the top search engine having a listing for your business just makes sense to reach potential customers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi J,

Really appreciate your post. I totally understand what you are saying and in part I agree. I just wonder whether Google for internet companies could have a different listing criteria. The fixed address is not important in my view. It could be "Planet Earth"! Our customers are serviced via emails, not phone calls. We're not selling anything physical from our business location and our B2B customers know where we are.

We all want to know everything about everyone now-a-days and information is king; so wouldn't it be better to create a Planet Earth listing? Google could authenticate in the normal manner but the listing for internet companies or offices could be more of a feature on the company and not on the location. Just an idea. Thanks again for your reply. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Matt,

What's a service area? I get everything else. I've noticed other companies have different listings. How do they do that? Here's an example: Go to www.google.co.uk, type google. There's no full address, map. street view, telephone number, hours of business, etc.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Yannups,

You are very welcome.

Yes, Matt is correct that a service area listing would be ideal and provide the advantages I discuss.

Please review Service-area Businesses and your Google My Business listing. Kudos to Matt for pointing that out. 

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Gentlemen,

Extremely helpful. Still very interested in how large companies manage to get a different business listing. Any ideas?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Yannups,

You are very welcome. 

When you say large companies get a different business listing... are you referring to the Google Knowledge Panel (info box on the right side of the SERPs (search engine results pages) on Google?

If so, these are created by machine learning algorithms, using semantic integration. It was greatly enhanced by Google Freebase and Google Knowledge Vault systems (now consumed by the Google Knowledge Panel system). These are/were really cool technologies, in my opinion, and are bringing the future of the web front & center.

As for the data used, the information is pulled from several resources. The better the website is structured and uses technology (structured data, mobile-responsive code, etc.), the better. And the better SEO a website employs, the better. Generally speaking, the more public info that is widely available across many sources, the more the Google Knowledge Panel can be populated for that company/brand. 

Please let us know if we can assist further.

All the Best,

James

Experts in the Topic
MikeJohnston
James_Clemens