Small Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Not sure where to post? Let's talk small business! Be sure to visit each week for the latest Office Hours discussion.
Guide Me
star_border

Small Business Office Hours: Marketing Your Business for Valentine's Day

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Office Hours Update.jpg

Welcome to our Small Business Office Hours!

We’ve created a new discussion post here in the community focusing on a specific topic relevant to small business owners. We encourage you to ask any questions or discuss any aspect of this topic; our Advisors will be on hand to provide expert advice and tips to help you succeed. The latest topic is:

Marketing Your Business for Valentine’s Day

According to a survey held by the National Retail Foundation, total spending for last year's Valentine's season was estimated at $19.7 billion! This estimate was an increase of over one billion dollars from the previous year (2015). Is your small business taking your part of the pie? While Valentine's Day is traditionally associated with flowers, chocolates and jewelry, more and more consumers are shaking up the norm, looking into more personalized and niche gifts for their loved one. Even if your small business doesn't offer the "traditional" gifts it doesn't mean you don't have the opportunity to help customers create a lasting impression. Ask yourself this question, and be open-minded: what product or service could my business offer someone during Valentine's Day?

Have any questions or ideas of how small businesses can benefit from the season of love? Let’s get this started!

For some ideas and inspiration, we recommend checking out the following articles:

4 Expert replyverified_user

Google Small Business Advisor
# 2

Love this topic Brielle! When it comes to marketing, Valentine's day is the perfect holiday to stand out. As you mentioned, so many small businesses skip out on marketing because they feel it's not a match for their products or services.

But it's actually the BEST time to engage with your audience or market your products/services in a creative way.

For engagement, you could ask your clients and followers to share their love stories with you and post to show some customer appreciation.

You could also show some love to your loyal customers or do customer only promotions.

If you want to bring in new business, and you are not in the love, candy, gift, or flower business, you just gotta get creative!

For example, I remind my real estate clients to talk about how home and love go hand in hand. Or if you are B2B, maybe reminding a CEO that your service, or tool, saves them time or solves some stressful issue, giving her or him more time to spend with their significant one.

You competitors may ignore Valentine's day, but if you are creative, it's an excellent way to stand out.

Re: Small Business Office Hours: Marketing Your Business for Valentine's Day

# 3

@Brielle B love the Valentine's Day topic! I had no idea how much money it generated for businesses each year... and how much it continues to increase in popularity. 

I'll stop over and get engaged with some of the articles and questions in the topic.

# 4

Valentine's Day is a great day to show engage your customers! You don't have to be in the flower or chocolate market to reap the benefits of this holiday all about love and appreciation.

Looking for an opportunity to send a client a gift just because? This is a great chance. Think of something fun and creative that represents your business or their personality. It doesn't have to be expensive - it's about the gesture.

Or perhaps you could help your customers show their love to others? Think of ways that engaging with your customers can help them engage with the ones they love.

Get creative! When you show your customers love, they show it to you in return.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any holiday can be fun when marketing a product or service. I think this is especially true when you are trying to find ways to promote something that is not normally associated with the holiday.

For example, lets say you own a Jiffy Lube type auto maintenance shop. Not exactly romantic... But, Maybe you could team up with the salon down the street and offer an oil change while the happy couple gets a mani/pedi?