3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Not sure where to post? Let's talk small business! Be sure to visit each week for the latest Office Hours discussion.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Lost ranking in search results

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have recently moved my website from Wordpress to Squarespace and am no longer appearing on page 1 of Google Searches. From what I know this is because it is a "new" website, which it isn't really....new site, same domain.

Any suggestions on how I can get back up there?? TIA

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
May

Re: Lost ranking in search results

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Sarah B

It's natural that the rankings of a site will change when a new website is launched, even if the domain name is the same.

This is especially true if the content, sitemap/structure, page URLs and CMS platform are all different.

Even in cases where the sitemap and content is the same, this change in rankings still occurs if URLs and structure are different.

Google 'sees' the change and needs to re-index the site.

The bigger concern in your case seems to be that the website could have completely dropped off the face of Google.

If there is an issue on this scale, there are number of (sadly) quite common reasons that could be to blame:

1. 301 redirects have not properly been set from the old content to the new content

This needs to be done to help Google and other search engines understand that the old content has moved to a new URL.

301-redirects.jpg

2. The site is being blocked in search engines

This is sometimes a configuration setting in the CMS which someone has forgotten to 'turn off' or your developer may have left a line in the robots.txt file that looks like this:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

I would confirm the points above and also add the site in Google search console (previously Google Webmaster Tools) to check and ensure that Google isn't reporting any other critical issues indexing the site.

And while you're in Google Search Console it's also a good idea to:

1. Re-submit an up-to-date XML sitemap if you haven't already done so
  2. Re-crawl the site using the 'Fetch as Google' option

I hope this helps Smiley Happy

** There are other SEO migration guides online which go into more granular detail. Ideally your web developer should have been aware of or following similar steps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can I see your wed address - url -  so that I can help you more on this topic? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Www.ishootevents.ca
I know I need more content...but I have the same as I did with word press...any other quick ways to bump me back to page 1?

Sarah Bradley
Sent from my iPhone

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

With mobile index being the new primary index I would start with your site speed on the mobile side of things. While it passes Googles Mobile Friendly Test the Speed insights show it as a 48/100 for mobile speed. Not sure how good your mobile and speed were on wordpress but speed and mobile useability are known ranking and converting factors. If you did everything Mark told you to do you are on the right path. And like he said bumps are normal as you are changing your site.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

Mark and Matt have provided very intelligent information for you to use that will help you with this issue.

Also keep in mind that a website comes down to two things: quality content + quality user experience. To be listed strongly in the SERPs (search engine result pages), you must ace those two things. There is no shortcut to the top. If there were, the SERPS would not be credible and everyone would be doing it. You must analyse the competing websites in your search space and build a better mousetrap. 

How to you build a better mousetrap? Quality content + quality user experience!

Read up on SEO (search engine optimization) and dig in. A great website is developed constantly... there is no way to build a shell and walk away and dominate online (rocket to the #1 spot). It takes a determination to make it happen by using rocket fuel... quality content + quality user experience.

All the Best,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you still experiencing problems with your rankings? If you are then probably best to ask over on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/webmasters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There is no quick way to jump to rank 1. You need to add a blog section to your site, add some content and keep your blog updated by adding articles almost everyday. Keep the social sharing buttons to share your content. Follow the link building strategies and do some guest post to get quality links. This is the best way to make your site to gain more DA, PA, and improve your ranking as well visibility in search engines. If you can want I can help you too. I'm an SEO expert, so if you need my help, I'll help you.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Ultimate W,

These communities are not to be used for solicitation or the promotion of services. We are all experts, in various respects, and we are all here to help... which goes without saying. Please be more careful with your wording and realize that you represent this community, not yourself, when answering threads here. Please read the community guidelines.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the information. I was not aware of it, however, I just said I can help. I never mentioned any of my contact details. So, I hope it is fine for at least this time.. 

Experts in the Topic
MikeJohnston
James_Clemens