Small Business
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Not sure where to post? Let's talk small business! Be sure to visit each week for the latest Office Hours discussion.
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicating an ecommerce site aimed at Europe - Duplicate Content

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are launching into Europe and are wishing to clone our existed e-commerce website which has over 500 products.

It will be on .eu domain with all contact details changed to France from UK. 

Will we risk our current UK content and rankings by having a EU site with the same products on?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Ted

What Google are wanting to achieve is to not have two sites owned by the same company with the same products competing in the same country to the same users.

So if your UK site is .co.uk or any other UK domain then this limits the risk.

Personally I don't think you'll have any problems but to be 100% sure you'll need to make sure they don't compete with each other to the same user.

All the best

William 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ted R

It's not usually a great idea to duplicate or clone the same content across different domains /websites.

What is the real purpose of doing so?

Content ideally should be customised to be unique and provide value to the local/geographical area.
Specifically in your case, I'm curious about why the French website would not be in the French language?

With duplication, there is the risk of dilution through cannibalisation if the content is really being left 'unchanged'.
Basically two variations of the same page can end up competing to rank for a given keyword and Google can't decide which one to display.

In short -
1. If there are two sites, there should be a reason for having two sites. Each with unique, localised, valuable content.
2. Otherwise, the better option is probably to focus on providing great content on a single site with a language switch etc.

In any case, tread with caution.

I hope this is helpful.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ted. Once you create the domain, add it to search console and verify it. Than make sure the target country is set to the correct country for each of your domains. That should also help telling google which website is for which country. But I just realized the whole question so +1 to Mark W. Same language all you are doing is changing the contact information? I think you would be better off doing some javascript so change up the contact info depending on where your user is visiting from rather than a cloned site with only a minor change.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

I agree that you would be better off by keeping one site.