Small Business
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Not sure where to post? Let's talk small business! Be sure to visit each week for the latest Office Hours discussion.
Guide Me
star_border

A search on Google leads to an old page of my old site. My site is not hosted by Google.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The home page of my new site is shown; however, there is a note there stating:

"Sorry, the page you requested does not exist (anymore). Please check your spelling or return to the homepage."
|
This happens with NO other search engine.
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike T
December 2016

A search on Google leads to an old page of my old site. My site is not hosted by Google.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 21
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike T,

Without the use of 301 redirects, the history of those old pages are not transferred, which we talked about before. When you redirect & transfer the traffic, you are also transferring the SEO (search engine optimization) score and age of pages.

With that said, your new pages are now new and will perform on their own merit until they build up some history of their own. While your main page or other pages did not change... they are standing in a smaller crowd of your pages and therefore have a smaller footprint or mass to see. I did a few searches you were on page one and high up, so just give everything time, as the Google system needs to catch up with the changes, which it typically will soon enough. As people search for your website and use your website and you continue to roam through your Search Console account and put all the many features to use, you will learn more about your website, how your customers are using it, and how Google utilizes it. And as you update and resubmit the XML sitemap and your website page contents... Google will better utilize your website and push more traffic to it.

Remember that a website needs to have the content changed up and wording updated to remain fresh and relevant. Don't let your website sit and ride on the merits of yesterday. Check up on your website's speed scores and seo score, which will all help your site. 

Once a small business creates a website, they must work on making that website a great user experience for visitors. How do they do that? They provide a well-structured website with relevant content presented on a fast-loading and mobile-responsive, modern website. It also must not have errors or issues that harm a visitor or that prevents Google from crawling your website. 

Once Google Search Console is reviewed, you will want to check up on your site speed, mobile-friendliness and some SEO (search engine optimization) stuff. Search Console will viewed your error pages, and it shows a lot of other valuable info, too.

1) Visit Google Search Console.

2) Use the Google Developers Speed Test and work on fixing the issues so that your score is 89 or higher for both mobile & desktop.

3) Rerun the Google Speed Test but use this tool instead. Make sure you have a mobile score of 100.

4) Run your site through this SEO score checker.

5) Visit Google Analytics and setup your website.

Utilize the steps as they are outlined. Visit #1 and dig into your website actions with Google. Use #2 to bring your score up and get any optimized content to download & use. Complete everything and then go to #3. Complete everything and go to step #4. Now go to step #5 and dig into what is actually happening with visitors and your website.

From here, you need to have a strong and consistent social presence that is updated with content related to your products & services. And you need to utilize a local online presence by being listed on local directories (YP, BBB, etc.). And all of your online information needs to be consistent and correct.

All of this will be a continual process of repeating the above steps 2-3 times per month for the life of your business.  

Please let us know what you discover and enjoy the process.

King Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike T,

Do you have the website connected to Google Site Console (Webmasters Tools)? 

All websites should be and will allow you to see errors, submit sitemaps to Google Search, and learn much more about your website actions. This is a free tool that is very effective and powerful.

Further, when you say your new website... did you change a old site in some way to the new (like rename pages, domain, etc.), or is it brand new for a new business?

Please take a look at the Site Console and let us know what you find.

Kind Regards,

James 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James,

I have been unable to connect my site to the Google site Console, having tried to use both the and the methods.

Previously my site was hosted by Yahoo (service cancelled).  I transferred it to 1 & 1 and refreshed it, made it mobile friendly, reduced the number of pages,  and changed the name of some of the pages.  I changed the name of the Contact page from Contact Me to Contact.  It appears that Google is trying to go to the old Contact Me page. 

If you search Google for "wood grain steering wheel restoration" you will see that my site www.steeringwheelsbymike.com is listed, however, with the ""Sorry, the page you requested does not exist (anymore)" note.

As I mentioned, this error does not occur with other search engines such as (Bing, Yahoo, Ask or Dogpile).  What can I do correct this on Google?

Thank you,

Mike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike T,

I did a search and saw that Google is providing your website properly based on the info it has. When I click on your Contact Me page, it does show the error you speak of, which is not on Google or by Google, which is actually your theme's custom error page. Some themes provide a custom error page and so do not. It is best practices to use a custom error page so that landing on a webpage that is not present anymore with your website still gets a person to your site's navigation menu. Yours does this correctly.

With that said, by using Google Search Console, you can see all of these pages that are ending up as errors and you can then take actions to help them. The first action is to submit a XML Sitemap within Search Console listing all of your website's pages so that Google will only serve those. The second action is to make a list of all those error pages and go to your WordPress admin panel or your hosting provider and set up 301 redirects.

By using a 301 redirect for all renamed or removed pages, you are able to complete the traffic flow to a new, current page. This would actually fix your pending issue since you could set a 301 redirect from Contact Me to Contact... and any link anywhere in the world (forums, search engines, past clients, friends, family, etc.) all could still use the old address and still reach you at your new one. This is the sole purpose of 301 redirects and they work great, too. They will also transfer your history and credibility score from the old page to the new, which helps with SEO (search engine optimization) of your website.

As a fellow business owner and professional web developer, the first thing I do before moving a site or renaming or removing a website is to copy and paste the address so that I can immediately set a 301 redirect for it. This makes the move seamless to everyone.

So, you should use WordPress or your hosting company to set those 301 redirects, then work on connecting the website to Search Console so you can add or update your XML sitemap and learn lots of valuable metrics about your website's performance.    

Can you expand on what is happening when attempting to connect it to Search Console? Does it give you an error? What does it say?

All the Best,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James,

First, let me tell you that I really appreciate your trying to help me.

Please tell me how to upload the Google Verification File - perhaps I'm not doing that properly.

However, I do have a question - why does this issue exist only with Google?

Thanks,

Mike

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mike what is the URL of you old website and your new website?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike T,

You are very welcome. 

Google is the largest search engine in the world and have an vast amount of servers, and some can hold your previous website info. This is one of the many great reasons why they give us Google Search Console to interact with a website's owner/developer so we can tell them about our web pages (XML Site Map) and they can tell us about issues (like errors with pages).

You can learn more about the verification process for Site Console. It is well worth using this amazingly powerful, free program.

All the Best, 

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James,

I have now accessed the Google Search Console for my site.  I note that the six Crawl Errors (all Code 404) are pages that do not now exist.

The key word search on Google I first described is going to the home page that does not now exist.

Mike

Mike

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Mike T,

Things look a lot better overall. I am seeing that the SERPs (search engine result pages) has caught up with the changes, too.

Keep an eye on the Google Search Console info and adjust as needed. 

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

James,

I have created an XML sitemap using Immotion Hosting.  How do I add it to the Google Search Console Sitemap?  Do I have to upload it to my 1 & 1 site?   The 1 & 1 site has a sitemap.   Sorry to be so difficult, but this stuff is way beyond my skills.

Is there someone you can recommend that can do this for me?

Thanks, Mike