AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics Academy
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Guide Me
star_border

Google analytics interfering with browning.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Late I've been having a problem with pages in Chrome refusing to load. They either take up to several minutes to load or only load partially. I noticed that there is generally a message at the bottom of the screen while a page fails to load "waiting for google analytics." Personally I think Chrome is doing something to slow down Java (doesn't happen in Firefox on my machine) but an administrator on the Chrome help forum suggested I ask if anyone here has any idea what is going on or how to address the problem.

I'm running the latest version in Chrome (uninstalled and reinstalled 2 days ago) in Windows 10. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google analytics interfering with browning.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Bradley S :-)

@Bradley S wrote:

Late I've been having a problem with pages in Chrome refusing to load...

Personally I think Chrome is doing something to slow down Java (doesn't happen in Firefox on my machine) but an administrator on the Chrome help forum suggested I ask if anyone here has any idea what is going on or how to address the problem.

I'm running the latest version in Chrome (uninstalled and reinstalled 2 days ago) in Windows 10. 

Not sure how it would relate to Java (analytics being javascript not java)

Is this in relation to issues you are having with your own site that is using google analytics and how it is loading in your browser or other website's?

1) If it's in relation to your own site, pls share the website url so one of us may check it via browser
2) I'm assuming you have cleared all browser cache and cookies.
3) Have you tried disabling all browser extensions/addons, then restarted the browser to see if the issue persists. if it does not persist, start to enable them again one by one to see which one may be causing the issue.
4) Have you also gone into chrome settings and disabled the option to use hardware acceleration 

Chrome Settings > Advanced settings > System section

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did 1-3; I'll try 4

Re: Google analytics interfering with browning.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Bradley S wrote:

I did 1-3; I'll try 4

I'm not understanding your response.

Is it in relation to issues when browsing your own website with analytics installed.. or when browsing other peoples websites that have analytics installed?

(If it relates to your own website, can you please provide the website url to allow one of us to check for possible errors via browser).

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No. I do not use google analytics and do not have a website. This is something that can happen on any website--the worst ones seem to be Google maps and tumblr; it does not happen at all on sites like youtube or amazon. For example, before I could post this reply, I had to reload the page four times (i.e. I would hit reply and nothing happened), and each time there were little messages "waiting for various items including analyicis" at the bottom of the screen, and even now the page is not properly loaded since the blue spinning loading symbol is till spinning in the tab.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just the option to use hardware acceleration and now google maps is functioning regularly, but other pages (such as a tumblr archive page) still refuse to load, but the same pages loaded immediately in firefox.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks for clarifying.. sounds like it is not an issue specifically related to google analytics then

I'm on chrome browser too.
What i have found when it comes to my own use.. 

I do sometimes have that kind of thing occur when I have multiple chrome browser windows and/or tabs open in Chrome or if my internet connection is a bit shakey (find rebooting my router sometimes helps).

Antivirus settings can also drastically alter how fast/effectively pages load (or dont).

The other thing i have also found that can sometimes cause issues..strange as it may seem, is under the Settings > Advanced Settings > Privacy, uncheck the option to "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly"

Using a proxy can also sometimes cause issues

and have you tried using Chrome's incognito mode to see if that helps?

eta.. you do also have the ability to opt out of GA tracking if you feel it is causing you browsing issues.

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had it in mind that AVG might be slowing things down (though I had been wrong to blame anti-virus for other problems n the past), but I just uninstalled it and replaced it with Avast and everything seems to be working smoothly,

Thanks