Guide Me
star_border

Thanksgiving and Black Friday - AdWords search advertising strategies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Friends,

Thanksgiving season is round the corner. It is one of the biggest business seasons for online businesses. This year Thanksgiving is on Nov 28 and Black Friday is on Nov 29. Here ae some business facts for this year: 

autumn-beauty-trees-leaves.jpg

1. Consumers spent $12.7 billion in online retail purchases over the 22 days leading up to Thanksgiving in 2012.

2. Over half of Thanksgiving shopping will start by early November. 

3. Smartphones are the go-to-guide for shopping this year. 

4. 2012 growth suggests that mobile & tablet may account for half of Thanksgiving queries this year. 

Not only retail, but other industry segments too have started capitalizing on this potential. The biggest key here is "consumers are in a purchase mode and businesses need to attract them"

So how can we leverage this season and AdWords to improve our businesses? What changes should we make in your AdWords account? What should be our business and advertising strategy for this Thanksgiving season? To make it easier for all Community users, I will post some common scenarios below. Let's share what AdWords strategies work best for that scenario. 

Thank you,

Mini

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Thanksgiving and Black Friday - AdWords search advertising strateg

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Scenario 1: 

A US based advertiser, say Emma, has an AdWords account in a good standing. She sells home furnishings. Their daily budget is around $1000. They never advertised for Thanksgiving earlier. So they do not have their ads or keywords related to Thanksgiving. So how and where do they get started? 

Please advise Emma one step at a time. 

Thank you. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Mini,

Yes this the best time for Holiday Shopping. An every Advertsiers has to optimize their Google AdWords campaigns based on thanksgiving days, Black Friday Sales and Christmas shopping.

Emma has to take several Steps to optimize the AdWords campaigns for Holiday Shopping:- Thanksgiving days, Black Friday Sales and Christmas shopping:-

1.) Add Keywords related to Thanksgiving day, Black friday sales and Christmas Shopping in your campaigns.

2.) Write Special Adcopy for Thanksgiving day, Black Friday and Holiday Shopping with offer and discout as this the time when US users want to do more shopping.

3.) Landing Page Design:- Use the holiday shopping banner in your landing page, use the word like:-"Special Offer", "New Arrival for Thanksgiving Days" etc that catch the user attention in your Products.

4.) If you have not started the Mobile Campaigns, Start targeting the Adwords Campaigns on the Mobile Device,Now the most of the advertisers spending time on Mobile, smartphone and tablet. Now the Adwords rolled out Product Listing Ad for Mobile Device as well.

5.) Set Automate Rule For seasonal Campaigns/Ads/Keywords:- You can resume/pause the Ads/Campaigns/Keywords that you want to run only for Thanksgiving days,Black Friday Shopping and Christmas shopping. Please follow the below link and learn how to set up the Automate rule in your seasonal Adwords Campaigns:-Link.

In this way i would suggest to optimize the google AdWords seasonal campaigns for shopping hours especially in Thanksgiving days, Black Friday and Christmas shopping.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I like that  @Rakesh Kumar mention the landing page and ad-copy. many are focusing on keywords; audiences; devices etc... and forget the basics: ad-copy and landing page...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Emma:

Thank you Rakesh and Moshe. So what are some examples for Thanksgiving related keywords? 

Since I'm into home furnishings,I have keywords like furniture, decor, curtains, upholstery etc. Should I just add thanksgiving to every keyword? 

eg: Thanksgiving furniture, thanksgiving curtains

Does that help? My ad text looks like this: 

Furniture and Decor

Furniture for all rooms

Shop and save online. 

...URL....

What changes can I make to my ad text to capture the thanksgiving traffic? 

Thanks, 

Emma

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey Emma (& Mini),

Just adding thanksgiving to all keywords may not make sense. there is nothing like thanksgiving furniture!
I'd suggest adding phrases with your keywords like:
thanksgiving deals on furniture
thanksgiving furniture sale

Also, your ad text should be more thanksgiving-y Smiley Happy

Furniture & Curtains
Bring Home top Quality Furniture
at Special Thanksgiving Rates. Hurry!

Furniture & Decor
Furnish your Home with Quality Decor.
Check out our Thanksgiving offers Now!

The point in both these examples is to mention thanksgiving and to have a reassurance to people that you wont be selling cheap quality products since your rates are discounted.

Also, Using Call to Action words like Now! and Hurry! Help bring in the urgency of clicking your ad and making a purchase.

Capitalization of letters in ad makes it easier to read.
Also, having Furniture/Decor/Curtains in the ad along with Thanksgiving will help get the users attention since the words would get highlightedas they would match the User Query
Explicitly mentioning the offers you have for thanksgiving would help. Maybe even giving the price. Example:

Furniture & Curtain
Thanksgiving sale starts today. Quality
Curtains starting at low as $20. Buy Now!

Furniture & Curtains
Thanksgiving sale. Flat 50% off.
Choose from 200+ designs!

If bringing in relevant traffic is your aim, having attractive ads will only get you this far.
The rest of it will be based on other factors like - pricing, landing pages, website navigation, offers as compared to competitors etc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!