AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Selecting a Bidding Strategy

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi there everyone,

Now more than ever with the introduction of flexible bid strategies I hear the question “Which bidding strategy should I be using?” from advertisers. Ultimately, there isn’t a right or wrong answer; however, certain bidding strategies are tailored best for a certain type of account and advertiser.

I thought I’d try something a little different today. I’ve included a brief picture of four different advertisers below.

• Fashionable Fanny is running a campaign on the GDN for a new designer shoe rental business. She’s primarily interested in accruing impressions and spreading awareness on this type of business model.

• It’s important for Emergency Ernest’s ads to be in position number one as user’s typically call the number corresponding to the top results. He works as a plumber primarily focused on helping individuals when there’s need for immediate plumbing services.

• Sally’s goal is to drive leads at a low cost for her boss’s national catering business. So long as the average cost per lead doesn’t exceed $20 she’ll be meeting the company’s ROI target.

• Victor works in an industry where the maximum amount he is willing to pay per day (per click) varies based on external factors which means he’s constantly needing to changing max CPCs and needs to have complete control over bidding.

Let’s help provide them with some recommendations on which bidding strategy they should be utilizing and why. Again, there isn’t a right or wrong answer, so the why of your selection is what’s most important.

Here you can find some information on determining bid strategies based on your goals. Also, I’d love to hear how you decide between which bidding strategy to use for campaigns.

Juliana S.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Selecting a Bidding Strategy

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Great stuff, Juliana.

@all: Who'd like to share how do you decide on your bidding strategy?
Zee
G+

Re: Selecting a Bidding Strategy

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Juliana and Zee,

As you have already explained that every bidding strategy is not good for every advertisers.

So i  am going to suggest the following strategy for the above situation that you have presented.

1.) Fashionable Fanny is running a campaign on the GDN for a new designer shoe rental business. She’s primarily interested in accruing impressions and spreading awareness on this type of business model.

Answers:-

CPM Bidding:-As she has main goal to spread the brand awareness and accruing impression through GDN, so I will choose the CPM bidding for this. 

2.) It’s important for Emergency Ernest’s ads to be in position number one as user’s typically call the number corresponding to the top results. He works as a plumber primarily focused on helping individuals when there’s need for immediate plumbing services.

Answers:-

Target search page location bidding:- As this bidding strategy helps us to maintain the top positions. As given business examples has an immediate demands, so this strategy work best for them.

3.) Sally’s goal is to drive leads at a low cost for her boss’s national catering business. So long as the average cost per lead doesn’t exceed $20 she’ll be meeting the company’s ROI target.

Answer:-

Target CPA:- Target CPA is good when you require leads within the assigned budget and CPA. it helps us to improve the ROI. Even this tool is very lucky for me and helps to reduce the CPA as I am using tools in most of the lead oriented campaigns.

4.) Victor works in an industry where the maximum amount he is willing to pay per day (per click) varies based on external factors which means he’s constantly needing to changing max CPCs and needs to have complete control over bidding.

Answer:-

Maximize clicks:- As Victor main goal is to get the click within the assigned budget while considering the external factors, he needs to change frequently the Max CPC. So this the good method so that he can control the budget as well CPC.

I also request to other community members to put your valuable inputsSmiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’