Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

***Part II: AdWords Beginners' Guide from the Community***

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

A Big Thanks to our Rising Stars for submitting a number of questions for our AdWords Beginners Guide from the Community event! In this second part, we will post a number of AdWords related questions. This is where we need all you great AdWords experts to come up with your best answers! The answers with the most Adwords_Star.png’s will be considered the best answer to that question.  

replacement.jpeg

Without further ado, let's get started with Part II

AdWords Question#1 from Rakesh: My ad's Average position [Avg. Pos.] is always 5-6, thus increasing the bid, help me to get the top positions!

Example:

Question#1_example.jpg

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: ***Part II: AdWords Beginners' Guide from the Community***

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Here are the rest of the event questions for Part II:

AdWords Question#2 from Joe R: There are so many things to learn. What are the best resources?

AdWords Question#3 from Joe R: When should I start seeing results [from my first ad]?

AdWords Question#4 from Rakesh: My ads show approved but does not appear on the SERP (Search Engine Results Page). How do I find out if my ads are running?

AdWords Question##5 from Deepak V: How many keywords do you recommend having in an ad group?

AdWords Question#6 from Joe R: Should I start off with a Search or Display campaign or both?

AdWords Question#7 from Joe R: I am getting a lot of traffic, but no sales. Why?

AdWords Question#8 from Rakesh: How do I find good keywords for my Campaign Ads?

AdWords Question#9 from Joe R: How do I choose negative keywords? Why do I need negative keywords?

AdWords Question#10 from Joe R: Tell me more about this conversion tracking thing. Is it important?

AdWords Question#11 from Mayank rI have just recently created Adwords campaigns for Singapore targeting. Campaigns are getting click and impressions but when I search keywords on the Google, my ads does not turn up. So what is the problems & how can I see the active ads in Google?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

A friendly reminder that the best answers in this event will get a surprise swag from the Community team. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi JP,

Answers #1: It is not always necessary to raise bids in order to get good average position. It is always better to consider improve campaign structure. Keep tightly themed adgroups with highly relevant adcopy. Keep looking in to search query report and try to keep search queries 99.9% relevant to the keywords in the adgroup if 100% is not possible.

Try improve CTR & thus QS. slowly and steady you will see good average position and end up paying less for each clicks. Basically good campaign structure following best practices can help you in long term.

Answers #2: Adwords Learning Center, Google Resource Center & Adwords community! Participate more often in discussions related to adwords with colleagues, participate in community will help you gain knowledge.

Answers #3: After getting approval status, you will start getting stats. Can;t comment on specific time limit.

Answers #4: Check in Ad preview & Diagnosis Tool.

Answers #5: I prefer to keep upto 20-25 in single adgroup. I keep transferring keywords if they don't get clicks in specific adgroup. Then I prefer add them with highly relevant adcopy and proper negative keywords in new adgroup. This depends on the person who is managing account.

Answer #6: Again, it depends on the audience you are looking forward to target. I start with both usually but separate campaign for both network. Never target both network in same campaign. For some business display doesn't work and for some search. You need to test or need to think from customer point of view.

Answer #7: Multiple reasons are possible. It can be possible if you are not targeting the right audience. If landing page are not upto the mark and not catching customers eyeballs. If competitors is giving some good offers. I would first check my campaign targeting. Location, Keywords, match types, search query report and then will move to landing page and following by what competitors are doing.

Answer #8: Keyword Planner, Your landing page itself, google search engine related searches. Once you start campaign, you can later expand the list using opportunities tab and search query report.

Answer #9: While research for positive keywords you can also pick negative keywords and can create a list. Later look into search query report and keep adding them. Negative keywords are very very important for success for search campaign as it helps blocks irrelevant traffic which help us maintaining relevant with in the campaign/adgroup. And saves costs and improve QS.

Answer #10: Yes, If I have a business but I do not track the conversions. How will I track my ROI? Conversion tracking is very important. It helps us to track conversions of the keywords, adcopy etc. We get a code which we need to add on "thank you page" of the website. When a user submit form and landed to thank you page we see conversion in our adwords dashboard. We can improve campaign performance using conversion stats. Can pause cost consuming keywords, priotize converted keywords etc.

Answer #11: Either you need to check it on singapore google search engine or use ad preview tool within your campaign to check ads. Searching your own ads on google hamper impressions. Always use Ad preview tool.

Hope above are correct.

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

@ Question 1: Now Google algorithem has changed for Ad Position.Along with Good CPC bid and Quality Score Google is now considering the relvency and performance of Ad Extensions.So you can not ignore this.Create your campaign that should reflect your website with granular ad groups.Keep relevent keywords only.Maintain relevency between keywords > Ad Copies > Landing Page.While creating ad copies try to understand the intention of your customers.What actually they are looking for ? That actually help you to increase your CTR (An important parameter to determine the quality score)

For example: You are selling Mobile Phones online.Now people who is searching online to buy mobile may have different intentions.Some people may be looking for brand,some can be cosider the price & where some people are looking for good features.Now if someone considering features while buying a mobile phone then consider including the features in your ads.

Also there are some other factors that you should also keep in mind.If are you using Broad Match/Phrase match keyword,Then add negative keywords as much as possible before running your ads and keep checking the Search Term Report on a reguler basis. 

@Question 2: It is Good to start with Adwords Help Center.Beside this create an Adwords account and keep exploring the features of adwords,This way you can learn better.Adwords Community can be also a wonderful resource you.

@Question 3:If there are no problem in your setup then Your campaign should start immediately after the ad is reviewed and gets "approved" or "eligible" status.

@Question 4:There are several reasons that why you are not seeing your ads on SERP..

A) Google bases everything around relevancy, so if it notices a user continually searching for a keyword but never clicking on it then Google will not you the ads further.
   B) May be your target Location is different from where you are searching.If the target location is New York & you are searching from California then you may see the ads

C) Your ads running on Schedule basis

Also It is not a good practice to search mannully on Google to see your ads.Because the impression will count & it can be effect your CTR.

Ad Preview Tool is a wonderfull feature of Adwords where you can see whether your ads are running or not/If your managing the Clients account then you should also suggest them to use this tool.

@ Qusetion 5: I usually like to start with 10 - 15 keywords per Adgroup,because its easy to manage.

@Question 6: It actually depends on your Advertising Goal.First youi should know the online marketing segmentation.

Search Intent Marketing : Where people are looking for your product/service. ( Search Network )

Display Advertising : Where interested are talking/discussing about your product/service (Display Network)

Now if your objective is to bring sales then its better to start with Search Campaign for example E-commerce site.But if you want to show your ads to maximum people and if you want trrafic then Display campaign should be in your first preference.Again sometimes advertising on display can give you better sales/leads.So keep experimenting on both networks.Its need lots of analysis & implementations to achieve your goal.

@Question 7: When you are getting lots of trrafic then you can assume that you ads are performing well now the question is the relevency. Are they the actual visitors taht are looking for ? Check the search term report to get this answer.

Now on the basis of your search term report you can consider the following two outcomes..

Outcome 1: Yes ! Trrafic is relevent But there are no leads/sales.

Solution: Make changes in your landing page.Somehow there are some lack of information in your landing page that your customer actually looking for.

Outcome 2:No! Trrafic are not relevent.Hence there are no chance of convsion

Solution:Try to add more relevent keywords.If your objective is sales then try to focus on buying keywords like "buy flower online".

@Question 8: This is the most important field where you have to spend most of your time to setup your campaign.You can start with Keyword Planner.You landing page itself can be a good source of relevent keywords.Just put your landing page in the keyword planner,google will suggest you the relevent keywords on the basis of the theme of your page.You can try it for competitors landing page too Smiley Happy

If you have analytics account then you can find out some good organic keywords that bring traffic to your website.Again i will suggest you to understand the customer intention while doing keyword research.

@Question 9: Its is good to add the negative keywords at the ealier stage."precautions is better than cure" Right? Negative keywords can help you reach the most interested customers, reduce your costs, and increase your return on investment (ROI).So when you are looking for relevent keywords in Keyword planner you can also find so many negative terms there.Add them as much as possible.Keep checking your search term report on regular basis.

@Question 10:First of all you can not calculate your ROI without the conversion tracking.Conversion Tracking helps to analyze what happens after your ad is clicked on. Did the user follow through with a conversion? By tracking your conversions you will be able to improve your AdWords campaigns by determining which ads, keywords and campaigns convert the best. Sometimes the keywords that cost you the least convert the best.

@Question 11: I think i have covered the answer on question number 4.Please go through it..

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

For NehaGupta's answers #4 & #11, here's an screenshot of where you can find the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool. 

Ad Preview and Diagnosis.png

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

For Shuva's answers to #8 & #9, here's a screenshot on where to find Keyword Planner in your AdWords account.

Keyword Planner.png

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Answer #1: It's true that increasing the bid will help you raise your ad position but it's not necessarily the best practice. Your average CTR isn't looking too good for example so even if you made a quick jump to a higher position by raising the bid, then over time that position would still start to slip if your CTR didn't improve.

In addition (or rather than) increasing your bid you should look into ways of improving the contents of that particular ad group instead. Make sure that the keyword relevancy is strong for example and also closely associated to your ad text; don't forget to make use of the DKI also as this can also be a good contributor for improving your CTR.

Answer #2: I would definitely recommend going through the official AdWords Help Centre, it might seem a bit daunting at first so just read about what you recognise initially and as you come across new features refer back to the Help Centre for additional information. This community is obviously an excellent place to learn with friendly members eager to help but don't forget to read the user articles also as they are full of indepth (yet easy to understand) tips.

Answer #3: Once the ads are approved you are good to go but don't worry if you don't see statistics right away as there can be a delay at times.

Answer #4: I shall one up John's screenshot with a link to the Ad Preview Tool!

Answer #5: I wouldn't like to give an exact figure of range of how many keywords to include within an ad group but I will say it should only be enough that you can actually manage at once. If you are aiming to keep them all tightly themed and relevant to one another then your list isn't likely to be large either; forget about whether there are too little or too many in the ad group and focus on the actual relevance and content of them instead.

Answer #6: Again I wouldn't say there is one correct answer here as every situation is different even within the same industry. Establish what your market goals are and what budget you can afford to spend. If you are looking to promote your brand for example but don't have an unlimited budget then you might want to focus on the Display Network initially. Or if you have an ecommerce website then perhaps you can make use of Product Listing Ads in the Search Network to begin with and then gradually start to expand as you generate a steady ROI.

Answer #7: This could be due to a few reasons. I would recommend reviewing the statistics for your landing pages in Analytics to see how people are interacting with the site and you can even ask for some honest human opinions (just make sure that they aren't staff or biased family!).

The next thing to check out is how you compare against your competitors and not just in cosmetic terms but also with regards to prices and deals being offered. Really try to look for unique selling points which will make the customers want to make their purchase with you rather than the other competitors out there. 

Answer #8: When creating keyword lists I try to base them on the structure of the website as closely as I can as this will help relevance throughout all areas. The Keyword Planner has already been mentioned so to one up John again here is a link!

Answer #9: Negative keywords are required in order to cut out irrelevant traffic and therefore unwanted costs. In the initial phase you will need to use your common sense, try typing in the start of important keywords into Google Search and see what prompts come up. You can also check the search results page to see what other irrelevant topics are showing when searching for particular terms.

Once your account has been running for a while you can check the search term report to see what sort of irrelevant keywords have been triggering your ads, then it's simply a case of adding them as negative keywords.

Answer #10: I tell clients that if they aren't using conversion tracking then they are essentially marketing blind as conversion tracking is a very important indicator of whether your AdWords campaigns are actually working or not. It is even better than that though as you will be able to identify exactly what parts of the campaign do and don't work therefore allowing you to make changes accordingly.

Answer #11: If you aren't living in the area you are targeting then you aren't going to be able to see your ads without emulating it as if you are there. The Ad Preview Tool is ideal for that as it allows you to change settings such as language and location.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords Question#1 from Rakesh: My ad's Average position [Avg. Pos.] is always 5-6, thus increasing the bid, help me to get the top positions!

Although you can see average position at the ad level, it’s bids at the ad group and keyword level that determine positions. Average position is a metric which should only be taken into consideration after you have established ROI/CPA of your keyword(s) and even then it’s the average position at the keyword level which should be taken into account.

Remember all the metrics at the ad level are an amalgamation of the performance of all the keywords within an ad group. Focus on keyword performance when determining whether or not your ads are in the right position.

AdWords Question#2 from Joe R: There are so many things to learn. What are the best resources?

Although there are some great resources such as the AdWords Help Centre, nothing beats hands on account management to learn the trade. 

If you’re starting out I would recommend doing some Google searches to learn the correct strategies for the fundamentals of any account. These being:

• Account Structure
  • How to create effective ads
  • Keyword match types
  • Negative keywords (massively important!)
  • Geo targeting
  • Account & campaign settings (again massively important)
  • Account optimisation best practises and basics
  • Setting up and utilising analytics to manage your account (account set-up, AdWords linking, Aut-tagging & Goals and funnels & e-commerce tracking)
    • Conversion tracking (to be used in conjunction with Analytics metrics

I am going to be controversial and not include quality score on this list. Too much attention is paid to “QS” and while it does have a large impact on the performance of your account, providing you have got the fundamentals I outlined above in check, achieving good QS should come naturally.

AdWords Question#3 from Joe R: When should I start seeing results [from my first ad]?

Prior to going live make sure you are 100% happy with your account structure, tracking, negatives and account/campaign settings.

Assuming you’re happy and your ads have been through the approval process (up to 3 working days but most often with 24 hours) yours ads’ll start running usually within a few hours.

Remember PPC is all about improving the results through constant testing, tweaking and optimising so be prepared to have to work on your account to start seeing improvements in ROI.

AdWords Question#4 from Rakesh: My ads show approved but does not appear on the SERP (Search Engine Results Page). How do I find out if my ads are running?

There can be many reasons for this. The very first thing you should do is to use the Ad Preview and Diagnostics tool to establish whether your ads are showing.

The next step would be to go to the ads tab in the relevant ad group and in the column titled “status” highlight over the speech bubble for the relevant ad. This will provide information as to why your ad may not be showing.

Ryan.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

AdWords Question##5 from Deepak V: How many keywords do you recommend having in an ad group?

I don’t feel there’s a specific number. As long as all your keywords are tightly themed the number shouldn’t make a difference. If you have quite a few keywords (say 15+) have a look to see if there are any themes of keywords that can be split into their own ad group.

Assuming you have created a good campaign and ad group structure you should automatically have tightly themed keywords and should not have to worry about the number of keywords in each ad group.

AdWords Question#6 from Joe R: Should I start off with a Search or Display campaign or both?

It really depends on your advertising goals. If you’re trying to get more brand awareness for your business then display would be your best bet. However if you’re focus is direct response (generating sales/quotes etc) that I would strongly recommend the search network.

AdWords Question#7 from Joe R: I am getting a lot of traffic, but no sales. Why?

There could be a number of reasons why. The things I would check (in order) would be:

• Account/campaign settings – are your ads appearing on the right networks, in the right locations etc?
  • Do you have an easy to use website with clear calls to action i.e. make it as easy as possible for the visitor to convert.
  • Negative keywords – The addition of negative keywords impact every metric in your PPC account. Make sure you regularly check the search query report and add keywords that you don’t want to appear for as negatives.

AdWords Question#8 from Rakesh: How do I find good keywords for my Campaign Ads?

I have personally never done any form of “keyword research”. I always use my client’s website to create an account structure which should naturally dictate what ad groups and thus keywords should be used.

AdWords Question#9 from Joe R: How do I choose negative keywords? Why do I need negative keywords?

Start off spending time understanding your/your client’s visitors. Start off by brainstorming ideas. Spend a decent amount of time on this as it affects every metric in your account.  Over time you’ll end up with a pretty substantial list.  Simply think about what you don’t want to appear for.

Upon staring your account for the first time check the search query reports each and every day and add any new negatives that you don’t want to appear for..

AdWords Question#10 from Joe R: Tell me more about this conversion tracking thing. Is it important?

Conversion tracking is fundamental to running a successful account. Simply put a small bit of JavaScript (that’s created for you) needs to be placed on a key page. Every time someone lands on your conversion page via an AdWords click, this’ll be recorded in your account next to the relevant campaign, ad group, ad and keyword.

You can then use this data to determine what parts of your account are performing well or need attention.

Most people place the code on a sales page (for an e-commerce website) however this isn’t something I do.

I always place the conversion code further back in the booking process, usually from the basket forward.

The benefits of this are:

You get more data more quickly. You can use this data to optimise the account. Additionally it provides the conversion optimiser more data if you wish to use that.

You can only do so much analysis in AdWords. You should only use this data to provide top level information.

To get more granular you need to set up Analytics properly with E-commerce tracking and goals and funnels for key conversion paths.

This more detailed data can then be used to supplement the top level data you obtained in AdWords, the former being what you should be optimising your account by.

Ryan.