Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Paid vs Organic!

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Paid, Organic, Natural, AdWords, PLAs… It can become a bit confusing for new advertisers to understand all of the different parts of a Google search results page. This post should help you understand all the components, as well as how to interpret the data in the Paid vs Organic Report in the Dimensions Tab.

A Google search result will generally have the following components:

• Free Listings
  • Paid Ads
  • Product Listing Ads

A Free Listing in Google Search is a result that appears because it's relevant to someone's search terms. These are determined by the Google organic search algorithm which is based around the concept of Page Ranking.

The opposite of Free Listings, are Paid Ads. Paid Ads 

• Non-organic search results are paid advertisements.
  • The ads above organic results contain a yellow “Ad” box.
  • The ads to the right of organic results have a yellow “Ads” box above them.
  • Analyzing organic search results can often help to identify new keywords for your AdWords campaigns.

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 16.46.47.png

Finally, Product Listing Ads, is a type of ad that features a picture and detailed information about specific products that you sell. 

• Product Listing Ads appear in their own box on Google Search, separate from text ads, and on Google Shopping (in select countries).
  • Product Listing Ads show a set of relevant products from different merchants related to a person’s search terms.
  • You need both an AdWords account and a Google Merchant Center account to create Product Listing Ads. Your Merchant Center account lets you manage your product information, while your AdWords account helps you manage your ads and campaigns.

Finally, you know that you can use AdWords reporting tools to see how often your ads are showing to potential customers, and which keywords are triggering those impressions. With the paid & organic report, you can also see how often pages from your website are showing in Google’s free organic search results, and which search terms triggered those results to show on the search results page. This information helps you better understand how paid and organic search work together to help you reach people searching online, use the organic results to identify new, potentially valuable keywords, and gain a holistic view of how your online presence is performing overall in terms of attracting views and clicks.

There is a wealth of information available through this Paid & Organic Report such as:

•  Use the report to discover potential keywords to add to your AdWords accounts by looking for queries where you only appear in organic search with no associated ads.

• Use the report to improve your presence in paid results and monitor your high value queries for organic results.
  • As you test website improvements or changes to bids, budgets, or keywords, you can more easily see the impact across paid, organic, and combined traffic.

Read all about the Paid & Organic Report here in our Help Center.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Paid vs Organic!

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Extremely useful article. Thanks for posting Kathleen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Interesting and useful article

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Product Listing Ads looks really very interesting thing, but not many people are using this

Paid vs Organic!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

According to me Google AdWords Ads doesn't compete with the free listings, correct me if am wrong.

But sometimes my Ads appear on 1st position but after all the free listing, i.e., at the bottom of the page which doesn't make any sense to me. Kindly let me know to recover from this.

Paid vs Organic!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies. If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’