AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Location Extensions - A Week's Worth of Wonderful Extensions!

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

What is a Location Extension?

Location extensions make it easier for consumers to find your business and bring them closer to a potential conversion. Location Extensions enable you to provide locally relevant business information such as your address, directions to store via Google Maps, and phone number, directly within a Search Ad.

We've begun to upgrade all accounts within AdWords to use account-level location extensions. The ability to create manually added and campaign-level (“not upgraded”) location extensions will soon be removed. This post will focus on account-level location extensions.

Why should I implement Location Extensions?

Consumers increasingly look online for information such as driving directions, store hours, and products and services available at local businesses. Research shows that 50% of consumers visit a store within one day of searching for local information on their smartphones.

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 13.12.16.png

If your business has a store front, or a physical location that you would want your customers to visit, implementing location extensions can help to drive in-store foot traffic.

Additionally, advertisers opting into Location Extensions have seen an average CTR increase of 10%. Location Extensions  have a positive impact on Ad Rank.  Previously, Ad Rank was calculated using an ad’s Max CPC bid and Quality Score. Going forward, Ad Rank will also take into account the expected impact from the ad’s Extensions, such as Location Extensions.  If two competing ads have the same bid and QS then the ad with the higher expected impact from enabled extensions will appear in a higher position. Read more here.

How can I track the effectiveness of Location Extensions?

As with all extensions, you can navigate to the Ad extensions tab and select “View: Location Extensions” from the drop-down menu to show a table with the associated reviews and performance statistics including clicks, impressions, and click through rate (CTR).

Read more about measuring the effectiveness of ad extensions here.

What do Location Extensions look like?

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 13.12.28.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 13.12.23.png

I’ve enabled Location Extensions, why are they not showing?

With the new Account-level extensions, you’ll need to ensure that you have linked a Google My Business account to your AdWords Account with at least one business location. You’ll also need to check that you any filters applied, match your business location. You can read more about this here.

It could just be the case that other extensions you have enabled are taking preference, or you may need to increase your bid or your ad quality (or both). You can read more about why Ad Extensions might not be showing here.

Anything else to know about Location Extensions?

Whether you have multiple storefronts or a single storefront you'd like to attract a user's attention to, Location extensions can help grow your business by bringing more customers through your doors. Location extensions can be served on desktop and mobile devices on Google Search and Google Maps!

Ready to implement Location Extensions? Get started with Instructions here.

Want to read about more Ad Extensions? Check out the other posts in this series:

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Location Extensions - A Week's Worth of Wonderful Extensions!

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
The launch of Google My Business is great for local businesses!