AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Planner - Share your best practices.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Friends, 

Over the next few days, let's share our best practices on select AdWords topics with our friends on this Community. Special swag awaits the most active participants Smiley Happy yay Smiley Happy 

Let's start with the Keyword Planner. 

We all have been using Keyword Planner for a few months now. Some of us still like Keyword Tool but there are features within Keyword Planner that address most of our keyword needs. Let's discuss some best practices that work for each of us as we build our keyword lists. Here are some points to discuss: 

1. How and where do I begin? 

2. Should I put in all my products or just some? 

3. How should I decide which keyword match type to choose? 

4. How many keywords should I choose?

5. How do I use the keyword planner to change the bid for low performing keywords? 

6. What are the advanced features in Keyword Planner? 

7. Any other useful tips. 

Share away those best practices.

Thanks, 

Mini

Next topic: Display Builder

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Planner - Share your best practices.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

[Edited]

The Keyword Planner is the updated version of the Google Keyword Tool and AdWords Traffic Estimator tool and the objective is to make it easier for the AdWords advertisers to get through the process of creating new ad groups and ad campaigns, which is the primary condition to boost up your adwords account.

It differs from the old Keyword Tool and AdWords Traffic Estimator tool in that the old tools were also used for general purposes & it was unstructured. The new keyword planner is specially designed only for the Adwords advertisers.

The Keyword Planner has a wizard type interface. The first step in the process is to determine how you are going to go about creating your ad campaigns and ad groups. You are asked to pick one of 4 possible paths:

1.Search for Keyword and Ad Group Ideas

2.Get Search Volume for a list of keywords & group them into adgroups.

3.Enter or Upload Keywords to get Estimates

4.Multiply keyword lists to get Estimates

1.Searching For Keyword & Ad Group Ideas:

Most of the time when creating a new campaign in AdWords, you’ll need to rely on Google to provide you with keyword suggestions to use. Therefore, the primary flow through the Keyword Planner is to a Search for keyword and ad group ideas. Clicking on that option will take you to the next stage of the Keyword Planner, which provides a robust keyword workbench for researching and picking keywords to add to your AdWords account Using this interface,

The Keyword Planner lets you brainstorm keywords using any or all of the following three methods:

• By Keyword: you can type in a word or phrase relevant to your business.

• By Landing Page: by entering a landing page on your site ,the Keyword Planner will scan and provide you the list of keywords that are relevant to the pages

• By Product Category: you can select from one/more of thousands of pre-defined keyword categories. Google lets you customize the keyword stats and performance estimates so that they are relevant to your campaigns.

You can specify targeting parameters such as language, country and network.

2.Get Search Volume for a list of keywords & group them into adgroups :

If you already have a list of keywords, you can enter those keywords manually or upload them as a CSV file to get an idea of how popular those keywords have been. For example, you could enter a list of keywords and get search volume statistics. You can also group your keywords into ad groups.

3.Enter or Upload Keywords to get Estimates:

The second option of the Keyword Plan process involves setting a keyword bid and daily budget for your selected keywords. Here you’ll need to provide Google with some information in order to customize your estimates because keyword volume and CPC bid estimates are based on your budget, bid, location and other competitive factors.

For example, you could set a bid of $2.00 and a daily budget of $1,000.00 and click on the Get Detailed Estimates button. The Keyword Planner will then provide the daily estimates for Clicks, Impressions, Average ad position and costs. The only difference with first option is that you’ll be looking at your own keyword list rather than the generic keywords suggested via the Google.

4.Multiply keyword lists to get Estimates:

A fourth and final way to work thorough the Keyword Planner is to mash-up and multiply keyword lists. For example, you might want to multiply a bunch of names of products/services with word modifiers to come up with every imaginable keyword permutations. Remember that you can have up to three lists to mash up, and clicking on the Get Estimates button brings you to the next stage of the Keyword Planner. The only difference between this and the other two methods is that you’ll be looking at your own keyword list based on the mash-up of the lists you provided.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mini,

Thanks for creating a case study Smiley Happy

AdWords Keyword Search Tool, the World famous Keyword Research Tool was used by all online marketer, has been retired now. The old Keyword Research Tool has been replaced by new AdWords Keyword Planner that is the combined functionality of Keyword search tool and AdWords Traffic Estimator tool.

1. How and where do I begin?

Now the Keyword Planner has integrated in AdWords "Tool and analysis Tabs". Then Advertisers can use the keyword planner by putting:-

a.) One or more than one search terms or phrases that a customer would use to describe your products or services.
b.) Your Landing page URL, where you would send the traffic through Google AdWords Campaigns.

c.) or select the desired product category---in the search box

But however i would suggests using some search terms and Landing Page URL.

2. Should I put in all my products or just some?

Based on my little experience I would put --Just Some. Because the keyword planner is about expanding the keyword list, if we put all the products we get intersected and less suggestions. The ideal way to use it is with one product to get as many suggestions as possible when we use multiple products, the suggestions drop from around 1000 to 300.

3. How should I decide which keyword match type to choose?

We can choose the keywords match type from Review Estimates. One can find the search volumes of the different match type of keywords in review estimates by putting the bids and budget in the box.
Steps:-Go to the Double Arrow Button in “Add to Plan” and click on the Review “Estimates button”.
Review Estimates.png

Then put the Bids and Budget in the box. Then Go to Edit Match Types>All Ad Groups>Then select match type.
Match Type.png

4. How many keywords should I choose?

You can choose any number of keywords. While choosing the best keywords it’s depending on your adverting budget. Choose a set of keywords that best describe your business, so that you can achieve the business goal within your Budget.

5. How do I use the keyword planner to change the bid for low performing keywords?

Keyword planner not only suggests the direct keywords but also suggests indirect keywords. That could not generate the direct conversion but helps to get the conversions. These keywords called Assist click and Assist Impression keywords.

So you can find the indirect keywords from the keyword planner and set the specific bids so that the keyword will help you to get the conversion.

Or you can download the low performing keywords from AdWords Account and upload the keywords in the Planner then planners gives the suggestion and follow the above process in Question number-3.

6. What are the advanced features in Keyword Planner?

There are multiple advance features in the keyword planner:-
a.) Geographic Data at City and the Multiple City or Country Level
b.) Upload the Keywords
c.) Multiplying Keyword Lists
d.) Network Search Volume
e.) Device Targeting Search Volume
f.) Monthly searches for the last 12 months Graph

7. Any other useful tips.

To find the relevant keywords search volume, one uses the negative keywords features, which directly reduce the search volumes of the keywords, when you use the particular negative keywords, thus one can estimate the reduced search volumes by using this features.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Great tips and explanation, Shuva and Rakesh.

Can you expand on the advance features and how you find them useful for your business with some examples?

Others users, feel free to add to this thread.

Also, what'd be useful will be any pain points that you encounter while you use Keyword Planner and what work arounds help you?

Thanks,
Mini

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Padmini,

Thanks for giving inviting to explain the Keywords advance featuresSmiley Happy

1.) Geographic Data at City and the Multiple City or Country Level: - Keyword Planner has the column where we can select multiple countries and city simultaneously that is time saving tactic if we are targeting same campaigns to multiple city or country.

Thus when a client ask the media plan for a campaign that would be targeted north India (approx nine states), so through keyword planner, we are able to find the keywords traffic in one shot. It saves our time as well as efforts.

2.) Upload Keywords: - We can find up to 10,000 keywords estimated search data by uploading the keyword in Keyword Planner Tool, where as in previous version of the keyword tool did not have such feature.Here you provide keyword lists to Google in order to customize your estimates because keyword volume estimates are defined by your maximum CPC bid, your budget and location.

For example, we have already a set of keywords, when a new client asks the estimated click and impression, within a defined budget. We use this tool to find the information about the estimated click, impression, Avg CPC.

3.) Multiplying Keyword Lists: - Keyword planner has an amazing feature to create a list of permutation keywords by multiplying the keywords and also gives the estimated search volume traffic of those keywords.

Previously we used to find the keywords by using Microsoft excel and then used the traffic estimator to find the estimated search volumes. To create the long tail keywords list now become easy.

e.g we need to generate the multiplier and mash-up keywords with set of products/services:-

“{keyword1} review”

“reviews of {keyword1}

“price of {keyword1} in {keyword2}

Here

{keyword1} - N number of mobile brands—samsung glaxy s4, nokia lumia 1020, sony, htc, iphone etc.

{keyword2}- Name of different city: - new york, london, delhi etc.

4.) Network Option:-The Keyword Tool offered the data for only Google Search Network, but now you can find the Keywords Stats for both networks “Google Itself” and “Google and Search Partner”.

5.) Match Type Result:-The Keyword Tool gave the historical search volume statistics for Broad match type where as the Keyword Planner gives  keyword’ s Search Volume Statistics for Exact Search. Due to this we are not getting overlapping estimates of the broad match keywords. Actually we were getting some statistic that overlap with multiple keywords of broad match.

However it allows you to choose the desired match type you would like to use when adding the keywords to your account.

First image.png

We can see the keywords match type from Review Estimates. One can find the search volumes of the different match type of keywords in review estimates by putting the bids and budget in the box. (See point 3 in my previous post).

6.) Enhanced Campaigns friendly: - The new tools give the historical search traffic across all devices where as older version of the tool offered search volume for individual device. As it has been made for Enhanced Campaigns friendly, thus in enhanced campaigns Google consider every device as single devices.

Hmmm…The keyword planner has some good tools that save our time and effort as well as help to create a proper media plan but still I am missing some more tools in the keyword planner, that we used in the keyword tool:-

1.) Local Search Trends Column: - The Keyword tool had Local Search Trends Column. That has been removed from the keyword planner.

However, one can find the idea of search volume trends by hovering over the icon in the "Avg. monthly searches" column.

second image.png

Closely Related Check Box: - The keyword tool had the "Closely Related Term" check box, by selecting this box we got only closely related search phrases. But in the keyword planner, it does not have such tool. However I am using the Include/Exclude and negative keyword features to find the related keywords.

Third Image.png

Here one you find the more features of Keyword Planner in Article

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome Post! Extremely helpful and appreciate the clarity.