Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Important Update: Changes to AdWords policies are coming soon

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Around September, we're launching a new and improved AdWords Policy Center.

Why we're making these changes: We want to make our AdWords policies more user-friendly, accessible, and engaging for both advertisers and users. We hope that these changes will give you a clearer picture of what Google cares about and why.

Here's what you can expect:

• fewer and simpler AdWords policies
  • more transparency into why we have each policy
  • more insight into how a policy can affect your ads

What it means for you: Almost all advertisers who comply with our current policies will also comply with the new policies. However, over the coming months, you should spend some time getting to know the new policies and thinking about whether you need to make changes. For example, we'll be introducing some new restrictions relating to weapons, tobacco, and fireworks that will be reflected in our new Dangerous Products & Services policy.

What do you need to do: Review the new Policy Center and make sure that your ads, website, and business will meet these requirements when the policies go into effect around September of this year.

Google requires that advertisers comply with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as AdWords policies, at all times, so it's important that you keep up to date on these requirements for the places where your business operates, as well as any other places your ads are showing.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Important Update: Changes to AdWords policies are coming soon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The new policy explictly says paintball guns are no longer allowed to be advertised (they are allowed now). This is a $500m+/yr industry in the US played by over 10m people. Suddenly it's too dangerous for Google Ads?

In all seriousness, where do we write to to question this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Agree. This is going to cause a big upheaval in online paintball.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Rob and Ken;

Correct;

Paintball will no longer be allowed to be advertised. I assume that Google is aware of the potential loss in revenues. (In this and in other businesses /  fields  which will be affected)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wondering why I am not allowed to ask a question? "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action."

Since this is the only place you will allow me to post, I guess I'll ask it here. If paintball "guns" are not allowed to be advertised, will commercial paintball facilities be allowed to advertise? You know, the place where people go to play the sport in a SAFE environment? Please refer to the National Injury Information Clearinghouse of the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, where it states that paintball is safer than bowling.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Kim;

Quoting from the revised Policy:

>>"Note that we err on the side of caution and apply this policy to sporting or recreational guns that can cause serious harm if misused, or that appear to be real guns.)"

Thus;  my interpolation is that advertising any paintball activiutivity is prohibited, No exceptions. (And I understand Google. There  is a "fine line" between "fun activity", and an activity that may cause injury. So, Google is on the "safe side".) 

However;  I will refer the case to Google asking for clarification; 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It'll be interesting to see if they start denying our ads in September. We're an indoor paintball field (http://edmontonpaintball.ca) and spend nearly $1000/month on AdWords. Let's hope they keep taking our money Smiley Frustrated

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is absolutely ridiculous. It's a wonder those of us who were born before all this crap started (where corporations feel the need to hold our hands and tell us things are not safe because we are complete idiots) were able to survive to adulthood! We do not sell or promote the sale of guns. We promote a fun and safe EXPERIENCE in a very popular recreational and competitive sport.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
@Kim; Rob and Ken;
All your comments have been submitted to Google's Policy group.
If Google decides to comment publicly -- this thread will be updated.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@kim ; Rob and Ken;

Good news !

Google replied the following;

"Provided that the paintball facility does not  sell paintball guns in their Ad/ Landing page then -  they are ok". 

So, as long as you promote  indoor / recreational  paintball activities, and not selling the device,  - you are fine.