AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

How can you tell if your ads are successful?

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Community,

I hope most of you are aware of the free AdWords courses that we offer within our Help Center. They're great resources, especially if you're new to AdWords and online marketing.

We're going to start a weekly quiz series where we ask a question that can be answered through one of our courses. This week's question is from Online Marketing 101.

Question of the week:

How can you tell if your ads are successful?

Anyone can answer (you don't have to have taken the course) - so let's see who can get the most stars for their response!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by KathleenG (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How can you tell if your ads are successful?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Ad is the bridge between the search query and my lading page, If my ad has successfully enticed my customers to cross this bridge , it has done its job. (Converting visitors into customers is mainly the landing page's job)

One of the main metrics in adwords can tell whether my ads are doing their job or not is the "CTR", the number of clicks that my ads receives divided by the number of times my ad are shown.

If I am reaching the right customers (relevant keywords) and getting many impressions but few clicks (low CTR), so there should be something wrong in my ads need to be adjusted. On the other hand, If I am reaching the right customers and getting many impressions and many clicks (high CTR), then my ads are successful and working well.

At this point the ads have done their jobs. However, If I am getting high CTR but low conversions, I have to consider the landing page, there should be something there prevent the ads from achieving my advertising goals.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Google adwords provides conversion tracking to measure the effectiveness of your Ads. by implementing Conversion tracking we can get data to measure the success.

Its Important to recognize specific goals you want to achieve from your adwords campaigns and determining your target audience before start running a campaign. as you get data you can Compare pre- and post-advertising (Traffic, sales, leads as per your advertising objectives).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by KathleenG (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Ad is the bridge between the search query and my lading page, If my ad has successfully enticed my customers to cross this bridge , it has done its job. (Converting visitors into customers is mainly the landing page's job)

One of the main metrics in adwords can tell whether my ads are doing their job or not is the "CTR", the number of clicks that my ads receives divided by the number of times my ad are shown.

If I am reaching the right customers (relevant keywords) and getting many impressions but few clicks (low CTR), so there should be something wrong in my ads need to be adjusted. On the other hand, If I am reaching the right customers and getting many impressions and many clicks (high CTR), then my ads are successful and working well.

At this point the ads have done their jobs. However, If I am getting high CTR but low conversions, I have to consider the landing page, there should be something there prevent the ads from achieving my advertising goals.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

How can You Tell if Your Ads Are Successful?

First of all one must be able to define what they consider is a Conversion Event and be able to track those actions effectively.

There can be many avenues one would want to track as a conversion. The most common among a website would be Phone Calls, Form Sign ups or downloads, and Ecommerce Sale transactions.

Once we understand what a conversion for our Website is, we need to make sure we utilize the best tracking methods. Once can use the Conversion Tracking with Adwords and apply a snippet of code on Conversion thank you pages, or one can use Google Analytics and set up "GOALS" or ecommerce tracking. Both of these conversion tracking methods can be synced easily back into Adwords as conversion events.

Once we understand and correctly identify and track our Conversions, then we can start to compare our Ad spend to a Return on Investment (ROI Model). At the end of the day, If I spend X I want to get Y in return.

Defining your ROI metrics and increasing your Profit returns are the true measure of If your Ads are Successful.

While it may take a while to fine tune this method, there are several optimization steps one would take to make sure there "Ads are Successful".

1) Check over your Campaign Setting to make sure they are set up correctly. Are my Ad groups optimized so that my Keywords, Landing Pages and Ads all achieve at least an Average or Above Average user experience as defined in the "Status Eligibility column and Bubble Pop Up notification". Am I utilizing all possible Extensions to help CTR and improve Ad Rank?

2) Do your keywords have a Google Quality score and CTR (Click Through Rate)

3) Do You Actual Ads have a Good CTR? Are they Getting Impressions and Conversions?
Are your Ads compelling, offering a Unique Selling Proposition and accurately define your offer on your landing page?

4) Am I targeting the right area? Am I getting a impression share? How is the Search Impression Share, Search Exact Match Is, and Search Lost IS Rank?

5) is my budget enough to last through out my Ad Schedule times? What is my Ad rank?

-5A) Am I getting conversions when I am in the #1 Slot? #2? #3? - #4-10? At what CPC provides me the best conversions? If I increase my Ad Rank (via Bids) will I still generate a profitable ROI, or if I decrease my Bid will I still have enough conversions and stratify my goals and maximize profits?

6) Are my Match types of keywords the most effective for High CTR, High Quality Scores at a cost effective Cost per Click (CPC)

-6A) Are you checking my data to make sure I an effectively utilizing negative keywords to remove unwanted Impressions and clicks?

-6B) Are you checking your data to remove keywords and or Ads that have not produced conversions over a period of time, or period of clicks, or period of Spend?
(All aspects of increasing that ROI)

7) Are you testing multiple Ad copies and A/B split testing your Landing pages to tweak your "Conversion Rates"

Are your Ads Successful will be determined by your own Goals that YOU set. Is you overall goal a Brand Awareness vs Ecommerce Sales vs Lead Conversions vs Phone calls. Defining your goals, implementing the proper tracking, and then optimizing -testing-and tweaking your account to turn your Advertisement Spend into a Profit Driven Marketing method is the ultimate goal.

Understanding the Platform, understanding your Data, will allow you to make the best decisions to move from a "Are my Ads Successful?" to "How can I achieve even more ROI and Maximize my Profits?"

That's the True Winners in this game of advertisement.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Google adwords provide a lots of tools where we can track conversion, ctr, Clicks, Newsletter signup, Promotional code signup. We are doing our label best to achive these goal. I think If we satisfy our client with ads from conversion, newsletter signup, or lead then we can say our ads are successfull.

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi All,

Thanks for your fantastic answers! 

@Ahmed Ali is our winner this week with the most stars on his answer! Great job Ahmed!

This week's question is up, why don't you all check it out!

Kathleen

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Kathleen!

The other answers are also really great.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

you can understand how good your ads are working based on the Click Through Rate (CTR). If your ad is displayed but not clicked to certain level , surely there is something wrong with your ad , may be the title , lack of proper information etc. all way try to give something that no one can deny .

try to find how your ad works by comparing impressions and CTR . if you are having good number of impressions and High CTR Your ad is working well