Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Google Web Designer (GWD) - Frequently Asked Questions

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

We want to ensure that the ads you create in Google Web Designer can be uploaded into AdWords with ease. We’ve collected a list of questions and suggestions that we hope will make it easy for you to create engaging AdWords advertisements in Google Web Designer.

Q: What are the requirements or limitations of uploading HTML5 ads into AdWords?

Take a look at the AdWords Technical Requirements for HTML5 Ads, which includes information for file size restrictions and features that can/cannot be used.

Q: What are some common upload issues I should watch for?

One common problem comes from referencing external URLs for images instead of using local images. Also be sure to choose the ad type “AdWords” instead of “Generic” when creating your ad.

Q: I’ve chosen Generic as my ad environment instead of AdWords! Do I need to re-create my entire ad now?

No, you do not, but you’ll need to go into Code View and make a few edits. Check out this forum post for instructions: Generic to AdWords conversion

Q: My zip file has a really long file name, is that going to be an issue when I upload?

Yes, there is a 50 character limit for the published zip file name.

Q: I’m receiving the following error messages in AdWords “The Zip file cannot be processed”, “An Internal error occurred while saving your changes”. Why am I receiving these error messages?

Most likely this is because you are uploading the authoring file and not the published zip file. In Web Designer, choose the “Publish Locally” option which will generate a zip file. You can then upload that zip file into AdWords.

Q: My question was not answered in this FAQ, how can I get assistance?

Search and/or post your question in the Community!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Web Designer (GWD) - Frequently Asked Questions

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing Coco! This will come in handy!

Google Web Designer (GWD) - Frequently Asked Questions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a GWD document that I originally published to google drive. Now I want to try publishing it in adwords or locally, but the publish dialogue box seems to be stuck in google drive. How can I fix this?

Re: Google Web Designer (GWD) - Frequently Asked Questions

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’