AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Do you track URLs? Product Manager addresses some FAQs

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Do you track your AdWords URLs? If yes, you very well know how time-consuming it is.

The answer to this problem is Upgraded URLs - a time saving URL tracking tool.

Upgraded URLs let you enter the landing page portion of your URL and your tracking information separately.

Screen Shot 2015-03-25 at 11.24.55 PM.png

You have the option to update your tracking information at your account, campaign or ad group level without having to re-set your ad stats.

Best,

Mini

PS: Here's the relevant blogpost

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Upgraded URLs - AdWords Product Manager Leo is here to discuss dir

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thank you Mini-CM

Hi community users,

Don't hesitate to share feedback / questions on upgraded URLs.

Thanks

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Leo,

If my old campaigns as the destination URL had the 3rd party tracking as /?keyword={keyword} (that is a Call Rail 3rd party phone tracking code method)

Will those parameters move over automatically and still work as the Final URL ( recommended) or do we need to now figure out the added tracking issues and make those adjustments as a precursor?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey Eric,

As long as your destination URL is on the same domain as the visible URL, you are eligible for the automigration (which would copy/pase destination URL into final URL).

However this is does not follow our best practices.

I'm not sure of the full destination URL today (please share the full one if you want more recommendation) but it looks like you could use an account tracking template like : {lpurl}?keyword={keyword}

This would add this to ALL your URL without you having to put it everywhere.

Thanks

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

lreo,

Yes Designation and Visible are on the same Domain. The 3rd party call tracking had us ad the string to the end of our destination urls.

So
mydomain.com/landingpage is the display
mydomain.com/landingpage/?keyword={keyword} is the destination ( and has been for over a year)

This format is across many client accounts that use 3rd party call tracking. there for based on the earlier statement:
"As long as your destination URL is on the same domain as the visible URL, you are eligible for the automigration (which would copy/paste destination URL into final URL)."
I am fine.

Follow up question.

In creating new ads, can I use the and mark as Final destination as mydomain.com/landingpage/?keyword={keyword} as long as the visual/ display is still mydomain.com  ( same domain).

I understand it would be more optimal or best practice to learn and implement the template idea or other practices, but for current workflow marking as Final destination with the tracking part of the URL is OK?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

1. Yes you are fine

(althgouh again, it would seem way better to have a single account tracking template for this).

2. Yes you can keep tracking information in your final URL.

Please check the FAQ section of the upgrade guide

Please use {ignore} in this case

Final URL : mydomain.com/landingpage/?{ignore}keyword={keyword}

Of course that is assuming keyword={keyword} is only for tracking and does not impact the content of the page.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

There doesn´t seem to be a way to bulk change diplay ads with final url:s?
Neither in the UI or in AdWords Editor.
I am right? I can´t find it at least and don´t know how to change the final/destination url for hundreds of image ads at the moment (I can´t change the destination url because they have been upgraded).

/ David

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Hey David,

It depends which display ads and what change you want to make.
1. The basic upgrade IS available via bulkupload for text ads, image and some of the tempalte ads (see the guide for the full list).

2. The Advance upgrade is indeed not avialable for imange and template ads given than bulk upload does not support creation of those ads (which is required for the advanced upgrade).

I do not understand your last comments. Are you trying to upgrade or do something else (you're saying your ad have already been upgraded ? )

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

@David_Precisera 

Can you please clarify - are you trying to upgrade? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What about 3rd party trackers that don't place the destination url in the tracking link?

For example: www.3rdpartytracker.com/rd.php?id=12345