AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Announcements and important information from your Community Managers
Guide Me
star_border

Display Planner - Share your best practices.

Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi Friends,

Thanks for sharing your best practices on the Keyword Planner

Now, let's discuss Display Planner. We'd like to hear how you used Display Planner for your business, while building your campaigns. 

How did you go about using the Display Planner for your business? 

How did you decide which sites to run your display ads on? 

How many impressions is good for your advertising needs? 

What demographics should you choose, how and why? 

How and when do you decide to go for remarketing?

It'd be great if you could share specific business examples. Don't forget that special swag awaits the most active participants!

Thanks and let's start sharing, 

Mini

PS: Please avoid copying content directly from the AdWords Help Center.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Display Planner - Share your best practices.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Padmini,

Thanks Again for organizing a case study with AdWords new tool.

What is Google Display Planner:-

Google Display planner is the combined functionality of Double Click Ad Planner, Contextual targeting tool and Placement targeting tool. Previously we used three different tools to run the GDN campaigns. But now we are getting all types of estimated traffic of different metrics in a single Interface. Like the Keyword planner, the display planner also saves times and efforts while creating the GDN campaigns as well as media plan.

In order to reach the more audience in one shot with a relevant targeting: - Contextual, Placement, Topic, interest, and demographic, so all it becomes easy with Display planner.

How to use this tool to find the right audience:-

1.) One can get the Ideas and estimates by using some “keywords, categories and sites” –which your customers are interested in.

2.) You can also use the landing page to find the estimates of the media plan. This technique is good for advertisers, who are new in the GDN, and don’t know about what keyword and categories and sites are liked by users.

3.) Advertisers can also get the estimates by using theirs old media plan. This is good for those who has already created the media plan earlier but want to check the current estimates for that media plan.

4.) Again one can find the media plan by using the topics- Topic is the term defined as network of sites and its pages, which have the same theme.

So here we can find the top placement sites by using the Topic and location, and then the Display planner creates the estimates based on the selected topic.

5.) One also creates the estimates based on multiple targeting simultaneously.

6.) One can directly see the “Ad Groups Ideas” and “Individual targeting ideas, meaning separate for each –“keywords, placement, demographic, topics, interest and remarketing. We can also see the estimates of mobile apps, you video channel.

7.) It also provides the estimates of based on the Ad Formats and its sizes. We can narrow down placements and see the name of the placement, which accepts the Ad Text only.

8.) If we want to see the estimates of the gender and Age wise, we can easily find in the display planner interface.

9.) Like the keyword planner, display planner also helps to build the plan that would be targeted multiple city and country.

10.) We can also get the estimates based on the Ad Scheduling. Now you can see the Estimates, when you want to run the GDN for a specific period of time.

11.) It allows you to Put together planned ad groups with different targeting in the plan part that is located right hand side of the Interface. That we can directly download or save as a Draft Ad Group.

These are the same basic features that we have found in the keyword planner.

Now come to your questions:-

How did you go about using the Display Planner for your business? 

Before using the display planner or keyword planner tool to find the estimated search volumes and estimated reach audience, you need to identify, what is the main Objective of your business. In order to know the right audience and reach along with the use of display planner totally depend on the Main objective of your business.

Let’s say--I am running the education portal campaigns and need to create the Media plan for the lead generation in CPC model then I choose campaigns type:-Direct response. But if I want to run the campaigns for Brand awareness and CPM bidding we can choose the campaign type--Branding campaign. And in order to get best estimates either we can use some keywords or landing page. That I have already explained in the above introduction.

First Image.PNG

How did you decide which sites to run your display ads on?

After selection of campaigns type (Direct response and Branding campaigns), the next steps come to choose the best placement. In order to get the relevant placement for our business, we can take the advantage of “Filters”.

Second image.PNG

You can filter the placement based on the Ad Type and its format, as well as Apps type.

For example: - if I am trying to find the placement for Text ads, then we can choose the text ads. Similarly if I am running the mobile app for android, then we can choose “Android OS” in the mobile app placement ideas box.

How many impressions are good for your advertising needs?

Mainly Your bid and budget determine how many clicks and impression you get. But there are other factors as well that define that how many clicks and impression you receive within the specified budget.

Targeting Ideas: - Impressions depends on your targeting ideas. If you have broad targeting, then you will get higher number of Impression.  Similarly if you want to use multiple targeting, you can get lesser impression.

For Exam:-One of my client required Female leads for Higher education as he only offers the courses for Female higher education.

So while creating the media plan, I used the Demographic targeting “Female 18-24”, Then we have calculate how many impression received, if I run the campaigns.

Ad Scheduling Filter:-Ad Scheduling filter also allows narrowing down your impression.

Frequency capping: - To use this filter to limit the number of impression to single users. If you use this filter, you can narrow down your Reach.

Third Image.PNG

What demographics should you choose, how and why?

Now come to the previous example:-

One of my client required Female leads for Higher education as he only offers the courses for Females higher education.

So here I used the Demographic targeting “Gender-Female Unknown and age Group 18-24 and Unknown”. Choosing the Unknown demographic is a good tactics as some visitors to GDN have not disclosed the age and gender, so that, you cannot avoid to target the potential customer.

Thus choosing the potential Demographics are depend on your main goal. So that you need to identify:-

Who is your customers:-Male or female?

What is the age group of your Customers?  

How and when do you decide to go for remarketing?

If you have implemented the Remarketing code on your website and create the rule and condition based remarketing list. Then you can go to the remarketing tab in the Display planner. It shows you the total reach of the audience list that you have created in the Shared library of Adwords.

Here you can also see the Remarketing list size with other targeting:-

For exam: - Targeting the Remarketing Group with the Age Group-“18 to 24”. Then you can directly add the media plan.

Fourth Image.PNG

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Great best practices, Rakesh. Very well explained. 

I challenge there is atleast one more best practice that's not shared yet.

So, who wants to compete with Rakesh? 

Quick....10...9....8....7....

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Thanks MiniSmiley Happy
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’